Chapter 6

"So we're letting a murderer go free? What?" Gus says. Stands next to the door.

Red turns on the faucet in the kitchen. Gives the "Seriously!?" mug a light rinse. Hangs it back on the wall.

"We are. But that doesn't mean he's going free," Red says.

"And that means what?"

"It means we're not the folks who are going to wrap this up. We need to be there for Betrug and the rest of the county. Officially, the state and the feds will take over," Red says.

Gus lights another cigarette. "Officially? So there's an unofficial plan, too?" he says.

Red's glare almost puts out the cigarette on its own. "I told you to stop with that shit."

Gus shrugs, takes another drag.

"You're proving my point," Red says. "You want to play cops and robbers. You don't know shit about shit."

"Fine, Red. I don't know shit about shit," Gus says.

Red plucks the cigarette away. Takes two drags before tossing it in the sink.

"Wil hasn't been right in the head since his dad died. Grain bin accident. You hear about that?" Red says.

"Yeah. Nasty stuff," Gus says.

"Now he's out killing people. We're just two prairie dogs with badges and a phone book," Red says. "Loose cows in crop fields, sure. Meth heads stealing anhydrous, sure. Double homicide with a runner? No. Not even close."

"Maybe the other agencies will let us ride along," Gus says. "They could probably use the help, right?"

"I called them. They're taking over the whole thing. We'll be pushed to the side. Off the radar," Red says.

"Oh, I see. So you want to go rogue. Is that it?" Gus says. He grins.

"You need to stop watching so many movies. No. I just told you. We're not the people to do it," Red says. "But I still want skin in this game. This is my community. These are my people. We need to be there for them. We need an extra hand we can work from a distance. An invisible hand. Someone only we know about."

Gus looks over into the living room. One of Joe's eyeballs glued to the wall looks back.

"Your people are starting to stink," Gus says.

"I know someone who can help us. And only us. Not the state or feds. She does good work," Red says.

Gus's face drops like a curtain.

"She? As in her?" Gus says. "Didn't you swear her off after last time?"

Red nods. "I don't have a choice."

Now it's Gus's turn to be the voice of reason.

"You can say I don't know shit, fine. But I know this much. After last time, you told me to stop you from calling her," he says.

"This is different. She's the only one who can find him before anyone else," Red says.

"Why bother? Let the big wigs take care of it. It's their problem," Gus says. Relights the cigarette in his mouth.

Red crosses his arms. Leans on the counter. Stares upward. Watches the smoke curl up and flatten against the ceiling.

"People will have a hard time processing these murders. They don't want the story from the feds or the state. They want it from me. There won't be any closure otherwise," Red says.

"Seems like you're making this a bigger deal than it is," Gus says.

"No. Been into Betrug lately? Everyone's nervous. Too many horror stories coming out of the oil patch. Folks are worried the troubles are coming here," Red says. Steps to the phone on the wall. Dials nine numbers. Pauses before punching in the 10th. "I'm calling her. Now keep your mouth shut."

*** PLEASE SUPPORT MY WRITING! ***

This story will only be posted on Wattpad for a limited time. If you'd like the full version, head to your favorite online e-book/book retailer and pick up your own digital/print copy. Search for "Invisible Hand Sobieck." Or leave a review of the book on Amazon once you're finished reading on Wattpad. Thank you. ~Ben