Chapter 87

The Betrug Café is too empty. Not enough people around to prevent a confrontation. Defeats the purpose of bringing a hot Red into the cool neutraility of town in the first place, Gus thinks.

Red seems to calm down as they place their orders. No pacing. No drawing attention to himself. He knows well enough not to do that.

"You OK?" Gus says. Still trying to read Red.

Gus thumbs the red envelope in his pocket. Orders a light lunch. Sandwich. Salad. Slice of pie. Coffee. Another slice of pie. It's light for him anyway.

"No, I'm not OK," Red says. Pauses to order. One burger. Two beers.

The waitress raises an eyebrow.

"You sure about those beers, sheriff?" she says.

"I don't remember asking for your fucking opinion," Red says. Growls into the table as he says it.

The waitress huffs. Leaves without responding.

"Was that really necessary? You sure you're OK?" Gus says. Keeps his voice down.

"I just told you I'm not," Red says. Bites at a fingernail. "Things are changing around here."

Gus shifts in his seat. Feels the Blackhawk rub against his side from inside the jacket.

"Yeah, times are changing. Everything. Everyone. You used to be the one telling me to watch my mouth. Now you're cursing out waitresses. Real noble, Red," Gus says. Thinks about his land deal with the federal agents. "Is this a money thing? Is that what's going on?"

Red stays silent. The food shows up a few minutes later, minus the beers. Red starts to protest, but Gus cuts him off.

"Just bring him the beer. I'll keep him in line," Gus says to waitress.

They start eating as she brings over the beers.

"Money changes people, right? Makes them do bad things. Do you think those people are worth forgiving?" Red says.

"What do you mean?" Gus says.

"Like if I told you something. You wouldn't hold it against me, right?" Red says.

Gus sighs. Rolls his eyes.

"I don't know, Red. I guess it depends on what you're going to tell me," he says. "My kids try to pull this stuff on me. A pre-approved confession. Gets exhausting."

Red looks Gus straight in the eyes. It's the first time today he's shown that much focus.

"I need to know you're on my side, Gus. That we'll stick together no matter what," Red says.

Gus imagines what's in the red envelope. Comes up blank. Maybe Red already knows what's in it. Maybe not. The curiosity burns a hole in his pocket.

"Why are you hesitating?" Red says.

"I wasn't," Gus says. It's a lie.

Red's eyes break away from Gus. Return to their manic state.

"Never mind then," Red says.

"No, Red, listen. I wasn't hesitating. You have my support, OK? You're the sheriff. I'm the deputy. I got your back," Gus says.

Red stands up from the booth. Drops a few bills on the table.

"Not anymore you aren't," Red says.

"You're firing me?" Gus says.

"I thought I could trust you," Red says.

"Sit down. Let's talk about this. What's going on?" Gus says.

"Goodbye, Gus," Red says. Heads for the door.

Gus jumps up from the booth. Follows him out the café. He could pull out the red envelope or the revolver.

He'll let Red decide which one he grabs first.

*** PLEASE SUPPORT MY WRITING! ***

This story will only be posted on Wattpad for a limited time. If you'd like the full version, head to your favorite online e-book/book retailer and pick up your own digital/print copy. Search for "Invisible Hand Sobieck." Or leave a review of the book on Amazon once you're finished reading on Wattpad. Thank you. ~Ben