Chapter 44

"This is getting bad. Real bad," Gus says.

A tremor in his hand mixes cream into coffee. No need for a spoon.

He sits at the table in Red's house. A cordless phone is next to him. The receiver is as warm as the coffee.

"You could say that. It's bad," Red says. Sits down across from Gus. "At least we know the feds are actually doing something other than take credit for our work."

"We should go to Minot. We can't just sit here. Drinking coffee like damn fools," Gus says.

Gus had come over earlier that morning. Good timing. Red took a call from the federals in charge of the investigation.

Turns out Wil killed another two people. Dumped their bodies on the banks of the Souris in Minot.

"We'd be damn fools to go up there," Red says.

"Why?" Gus says.

Red responds with a long sip of coffee. Then silence.

Gus breaks it with a slap on the table. "Getting kind of tired of your runaround. You hiding something?" he says.

"Hiding?" Red says.

"Yeah, Red, hiding," Gus says. "It's just too strange. You spot Wil driving off in Joe's truck just after the murders. Then you go hiring this crazy hand, Jane, to track him down. Two more murders, you don't lift a finger. We just wait with thumbs up our asses."

Red clears his throat. Shuffles his fingers. "It's best to let Jane work."

"You're a real son of a bitch. You know that?" Gus says.

Red doesn't bother to blink. Lets the coffee burn on his tongue as Gus stomps out.

*** PLEASE SUPPORT MY WRITING! ***

This story will only be posted on Wattpad for a limited time. If you'd like the full version, head to your favorite online e-book/book retailer and pick up your own digital/print copy. Search for "Invisible Hand Sobieck." Or leave a review of the book on Amazon once you're finished reading on Wattpad. Thank you. ~Ben