Chapter 43

"You sure about this?" Beth says.

The long, rectangle shipping container looks imposing. Isolated. Ominous. Just dumped in a vacant lot off an alleyway. East side of town. Not far from the fairgrounds.

Tan paint stains the ground outside the container. Tire tracks and miscellaneous car parts score the dirt. They look fresh. The container looks old. Rusty.

"Yep. This is the place the note said to go. Used our names specifically even. This job gets easier every day," Tom says.

"No. I mean about even doing this. We should get the local officers to help," Beth says. Sweat blurs her vision for a moment. She blinks. It stings. "This doesn't feel right."

"Wil wants to talk. We shouldn't spook him," Tom says. "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Words to live by."

Beth rests her hand on the semi-auto pistol, a Glock 23, holstered to her hip. It's compact but newer than Tom's full-sized Glock 22.

"You got any jokes for this? I could use one," she says.

"OK. Two FBI agents walk into a sketchy shipping container. Guy inside confesses to a pile of murders. The agents take vacation. The end," Tom says.

The pair trade smirks before heading to the container. There's a hesitation in Tom's dominant hand. Can't decide whether to knock or step aside to open the door.

He doesn't get the chance to make a choice. The door creaks open on its own.

The burning stench of bleach overcomes them. They cough and step back. Beth clicks on her flashlight.

Their eyes don't have time to adjust. A piercing light reflects back at them. Makes them look away.

"Wil? Turn your flashlight off," Tom says. "Wil? You in there?"

A metallic growl answers from inside the container. Almost like it's playing from a recording.

"Turn your flashlight off, agent. You're facing a mirror," the voice says.

Tom nods to Beth. She clicks the light off. The blinding light goes away.

As their eyes adjust, the mirror becomes clear. It partitions the dark cavern of the container about 10 feet away. Only the agents are reflected. Nothing but stinging air rests between them.

"Identify yourself," Tom says.

"Wil Reynolds isn't here," the voice says. Could be coming from behind the mirror. Or inside the agents' heads. Hard to tell.

"Then who are you?" Tom says.

"Call me Jane."

"Jane who?"

"Jane who knows something you'd be very interested in pursuing. You'll be working for me now," Jane says from inside the darkness.

"Come out of there and let's talk," Tom says.

"No. Now is the time for you to listen," Jane says.

Jane lists the names of the agents' supervisors. Phone numbers. Confirmation codes. Details only someone inside the Bureau could possibly know.

Now Tom produces his Glock 22. Beth follows suit.

"How would you know any of that?" Tom says. "You've got five seconds to come out of there."

The mirror falls to the ground in response. Tom and Beth dart away from the container opening. Inch their way back with flashlights on. The container is bare. Nothing but glass shards.

"What the hell?" Beth says as they peek inside. Her light falls on a tiny microphone at the top of a far corner.

"You'll be taking orders from me now. Call your superiors if you like. They will confirm," Jane says. "Your plans are changing."

*** PLEASE SUPPORT MY WRITING! ***

This story will only be posted on Wattpad for a limited time. If you'd like the full version, head to your favorite online e-book/book retailer and pick up your own digital/print copy. Search for "Invisible Hand Sobieck." Or leave a review of the book on Amazon once you're finished reading on Wattpad. Thank you. ~Ben