Chapter 105

Les flags me down on the way into the Man Camp. Waves the blue Navy Vet hat in the light of the horseshoe pit.

I stop the truck. Roll down the window. Play it cool.

"Did Moe show up?" Les says from his wheelchair. Works himself up alongside my door.

"Right behind me," I say.

"Good," Les says.

Moe drives by right on cue. He waves out the window. Les returns the gesture.

I debate whether to ask why Moe was sent out in the first place. Decide against it. Don't want to raise suspicions.

Turns out Les already has his. Two burly guys show up on the passenger side. One has a shotgun. The other is opening the door.

I raise an eyebrow to Les.

"These guys need a ride?" I say.

Les points his cane at my face.

"Why don't you come on out of there?" he says.

"What's going on?" I say.

"You'll see in a minute. No need to get upset or anything. Just come on out," Les says.

I exit the truck. Les keeps the cane trained on my face.

The guy in the cab follows right behind me. Digs into my pockets. Pulls out the revolver, the dope and the cash.

"Les?" I say. "What's this about?"

Les lowers the cane.

"This is for your own good. Wouldn't want you acting like an idiot," he says.

"Acting like an idiot about what?" I say.

Les sighs. Or laughs. Hard to tell.

"Growing up, we kept chickens in the backyard. Rhode Island Reds. Great egg-laying hens," Les says. "But eventually those hens went dry. No use in keeping them around."

The guy with the shotgun searches the bed of the truck. Nothing back there but tools.

"One day a big grocery store opened nearby. Suddenly we had cheap eggs and cheaper meat. Having our own hens wasn't as important," Les says.

Not sure where the latest edition of Les's Fables is headed.

"There a point to this story?" I say.

"Yes. It's to distract you while my guy searches your truck," Les says. Nods to the guy with the shotgun. "Anything?"

"Nothing," comes the reply.

"Good," Les says. Wipes at his face with his hand. "I forget the rest of this story, but it's relevant."

"Meaning?" I say.

"Meaning that I'm going to fuck test your lady friend," Les says. "And you shouldn't be upset about it. Nothing personal. Strictly business."

The wind picks up when he says it. I think I'm hearing him wrong. Ask him to repeat it.

He does. That's what I thought he'd said.

"Seems to me she healed up real quick. Just yesterday, she asked to take a walk. I need to make sure she's serviceable," Les says. "Sure, these workers would plug a gopher hole. A few probably have. But still, I'm trying to be a good capitalist here. And this disarming you, this is just a precaution. For my protection and yours. You understand."

I play along in hopes of buying us more time.

"You don't want to be in this same predictament again in a few days. Why not allow some extra time? Might help in the long run," I say.

It's the best I can think to say. It's not enough. Les is still humping that civilization building delusion.

"You've got to understand what pussy's worth out here. The companies won't admit it, but whoring has a long history with any boom. It's integral to the success of the boom itself. The whores wind up pregnant, so they start hospitals and schools. That sends a signal to the legit businesses. Helps settle the boom. These oil companies, they get it. They depend on people like me to deliver. In return, I get to run a Man Camp and whatever else I please. The objective is bigger than you or me," Les says.

I can't even see Les anymore. He's just a black dot in my vision.

I think of Sam. Pluck an eyelash.

The black dot squiggles. Grows arms. Legs. Like the shadow people who come out at night.

I pluck another eyelash.

"What are you doing? Pulling your eyelashes out?" Les says.

I slip the lashes onto my tongue. Swallow.

The hot panic in my gut cools. I can see Les again.

Les says, "Here's the deal. I'm going to go stick a hot brand on that cow. You can have your gun back in the morning. If she's ready, she'll join you out at the rig. Can fuck in your truck."

"What if she's not ready?" I say.

"Then she won't be worth a damn after I'm through with her anyway. Probably drop her off in Minot somewhere. Winter's coming soon. Can't afford dead weight in the Man Camp," Les says.

"I see," I say. Think of how good it will feel to kill him. That is if Sam doesn't get him first.

Les motions to the burly men.

"They'll be seeing you to your RV," he says. "Keep watch over you all night. Again, it's just a precaution. Keep a cool head and you'll be fine."

It's going to be long night. Or a short one.

*** PLEASE SUPPORT MY WRITING! ***

This story will only be posted on Wattpad for a limited time. If you'd like the full version, head to your favorite online e-book/book retailer and pick up your own digital/print copy. Search for "Invisible Hand Sobieck." Or leave a review of the book on Amazon once you're finished reading on Wattpad. Thank you. ~Ben