Chapter 133

Cal smoothes out my contract. Pulls out his own copy from a briefcase on the floor.

"As you might guess, the energy company I represent does a lot of these contracts. We've been able to simplify the legalese so it's easier to understand," Cal says.

"You dumbed it down for us prairie dogs," I say.

I can't help myself either. After last night, it's fun to take a dig at the poor sap.

"Believe it or not, almost everyone is turned off by huge contracts, not just NorDak folks. It's just a courtesy. Meant no offense," Cal says.

NorDak. I think he meant NoDak.

"Then why'd you make the print so small?" I say.

Cal smiles. It's the same rehearsed one from before.

"To fit it onto a smaller number of pages. We're a green company. Committed to reducing waste," Cal says. "Fracking is clean. Efficient. Practical. The fuel extracted keeps energy prices affordable. The country relies less on foreign energy sourced through unregulated, environmentally unfriendly practices. Fracking is good for the economy and the planet."

Good for him. He can memorize his company's pamphelts.

I squint. Read over a few sections on the contract.

"Maybe you can simplify something for me. What's this road you want to build about?" Sam says.

"Oh, it's much more than just a road," Cal says. "Your property sits in a critical junction of several road, rail and pipeline projects. You could say it's the keystone. Developing it will expedite shipping into the future. More oil products on the market mean lower prices for consumers. Everyone wins."

"How far into the future does this contract cover?" I say.

"Indefinitely, as the contract stipulates," Cal says.

Sam takes a loud sip of coffee. Nudges me.

"Tell me more about these lower prices for consumers," she says.

Cal hits his well-groomed stride.

"This project will help people across all income levels afford natural gas and oil products. That means fewer people going cold in the winter. The elderly won't have to choose between paying heat and electricity. Farmers using grain dryers, like the ones around here, won't go broke during propane shortages. That means lower food prices for everyone," Cal says. "You might say selling this property is an act of charity for millions of fellow Americans. But instead of parting with your money to do it, you walk away with a check."

Now I know why they sent Cal to this meeting. He might be a slick hack, but he's an effective one. My father wanted to give me a legacy to inherit and pass on. This is even better. And I'm wealthier for it.

Just so long as the price is right.

"About the money. How much am I looking at getting?" I say.

My mouth won't close after he tells me. Neither will Sam's. The number is more than I could spend in two lifetimes.

"Is that all at once or spread out?" I say.

"That's just the upfront sum. You'll also pull royalties on energy extraction if we find oil," Cal says. Piles a pancake onto my plate. "Eat up, Wil. Your mouth looks hungry."

My stomach wakes up. I fork the food into my mouth. Best tasting pancake I've ever had.

Cal lays a gold pen in front of me.

"All you have to do is sign," he says. "Picture it, Wil. You'd be young. Rich. Carefree. The two of you can travel the world. Do anything you want."

I pluck the pen. Twirl it in my fingers.

Sam watches me. I glance at her.

"Do it," she says. Links an arm in with mine. Runs a palm over my back. Feels like an invisible hand is giving me a back rub.

I think about my father. The generations of family that worked that farm.

I think about Sam. My feelings toward her.

I think about Jane. About her threats.

I think about the people I've killed. And then don't. Don't want to right now.

I think about the contract. Everyone associated with it is dead. Everyone except me.

"Everything OK, Wil?" Cal says. His eyes shift between me and the gold pen.

I fold a strip of bacon into my mouth. Give it a greasy crunch.

Sam and Cal watch me tap the pen on the table. I match the beat to the clock ticking on the wall.

"Nasty winter this year. That's what they're predicting," I say.

"Oh, yeah?" Cal says.

My body feels like it could float away.

"Seriously," I say and sign the contract.

*** PLEASE SUPPORT MY WRITING! ***

This story will only be posted on Wattpad for a limited time. If you'd like the full version, head to your favorite online e-book/book retailer and pick up your own digital/print copy. Search for "Invisible Hand Sobieck." Or leave a review of the book on Amazon once you're finished reading on Wattpad. Thank you. ~Ben