Chapter 72

Sam wakes to a creaking sound. Thinks it's coming from the muscles in her neck. It's not.

She tries to rub the opiate fog from her eyes. The tactic of staying numb for whatever unpleasantness awaits is working too well.

"Who there?" Sam says.

Words don't work. Her brain is still sleeping.

There's a cautious footstep outside the bedroom. Heel. Toe. Then it stops.

Sam glances at the bedroom door. It's more of a paneled divider. The latch is unlocked. Forgot to lock it before passing out.

Heel. Toe.

Heel. Toe.

The footsteps sound heavy. Like they belong to someone big.

Sam fights through sleepiness. Runs a hand under the sheets. She remembers the revolver, the Smith & Wesson  60. Just not sure where she put it.

Heel. Toe.

Panic burns off Sam's mental fog.

"Wil? Is that you, Wil?" she says.

No reply.

Heel. Toe.

Whoever it is, he's right outside the divider. Sam's hand finds the revolver. But it's too late. And she's too groggy. Her hand accidentally scoots the revolver onto the floor. It lands with a thump.

Sam hears the divider. It's sliding open.

Her fingers search the floor for the gun. She finds it. Lifts it up as a figure enters the room.

Sam's gut says to shoot. The feeling's vetoed by her eyes. She can't make out who's standing there. Oxycodone still has her vision in its jaws.

Heel. Toe.

The figure is at the foot of the bed.

*** PLEASE SUPPORT MY WRITING! ***

This story will only be posted on Wattpad for a limited time. If you'd like the full version, head to your favorite online e-book/book retailer and pick up your own digital/print copy. Search for "Invisible Hand Sobieck." Or leave a review of the book on Amazon once you're finished reading on Wattpad. Thank you. ~Ben