Chapter 58

"That's right," Beth says. Takes the business card back. Folds it into her pocket. "Jane."

Gus scrapes at the ground with his foot.

"So...you're Jane?" Gus says to Beth. Points to Tom. "Or is it you? And how do I know you're even feds? Anyone can make a business card."

Beth flips out her badge. Tom follows suit.

"Trust us," Beth says. "But we're not Jane. Jane isn't a federal."

"Then what is she?" Gus says.

Beth starts to say something. Tom stops her with a look.

"Jane made contact with us. We're cooperating with her in this investigation," Beth says.

"And?" Gus says.

"And that's it. Jane is helping us find Wil. She's not working with Red anymore. He was out of line to hire her," Tom says. "That's why we need your help."

Gus pulls a pack of cigarettes from his pocket. Pops out a filtered stick. Lights up. Offers one to Beth and Tom. They decline.

"Why do you need my help?" Gus says.

"Red needs to stay away from this case. Far away," Beth says. "If he starts acting irrationally, we need you to step in."

"What do you mean by step in?" Gus says.

Beth picks up the red envelope. It's coated in a plastic laminate. There are no folds or openings on it. Like a baby without a belly button, it looks willed into existence.

"Don't let him go looking for Wil," Beth says. Hands the envelope to Gus. "If he does, give him this."

Gus inspects the red envelope. "There anything in this thing? Or is it just a laminated piece of paper?" he says.

"Cut it if you need to open it. It'll only work in the next 30 days. The contents inside will dissolve at that point," Beth says.

Gus flips the envelope over and over. Holds it up. Tries to see what's inside.

"And what if I don't feel like helping you? What am I getting for my time?" Gus says.

Tom closes the briefcase. Nods to Beth.

"The one thing all this is really about," she says.

"What's that?" Gus says.

"Land," Beth says.

*** PLEASE SUPPORT MY WRITING! ***

This story will only be posted on Wattpad for a limited time. If you'd like the full version, head to your favorite online e-book/book retailer and pick up your own digital/print copy. Search for "Invisible Hand Sobieck." Or leave a review of the book on Amazon once you're finished reading on Wattpad. Thank you. ~Ben