Chapter 94

Red waits until 8:05 p.m. to make himself known. He's watched Beth wait by a bench for 10 minutes.

"I thought there were two of you," Red says.

The oversized bandage over his nose looks downright theatric. He found time to see a doctor, albeit a horse doctor. Told a lie about getting on the wrong side of a horse's ass. Close enough.

No sign of the blood now. Except for his boots.

Beth notices them as Red approaches. It's a go-to trick for reading a person. People usually have fresh clothes to wear. But they don't switch footwear often. Shoes are the real storytellers about a person. Income. Vocation. Location. Recent activity. Plenty of soul in those soles.

"And I thought you were supposed to be Gus," Beth says. Makes it obvious she's looking at Red's boots.

"I was inspecting a dead cow earlier today. You can look up now," Red says.

He stops 10 feet from Beth. Close enough so they don't have to shout. Far enough away for wiggle room.

"A dead cow. I see," Beth says.

"People around here, they still call the sheriff about these things. They like it when problems are solved. Especially by someone they can trust. Who knows the people. The area," Red says.

"I get it, sheriff. You don't like me. That's fine," Beth says. "You wanted to talk. So let's talk."

Red continues his line of thought.

"That's not something I'll be able to say much longer. That I know the land. The people. You're standing here. I don't know you. Homicides? Never knew much about them until now. And the land? That oil patch isn't getting smaller. They should just rename this state Saudi Dakota and be done with it," Red says.

Beth cuts off Red's waxing philosophy. Boils things down to the dirt.

"Where's Gus, sheriff?" she says.

"Gus is fine. I didn't kill him if that's what you mean," Red says.

"Is he hurt?" Beth says.

"I said he's fine. Now I've got a question. Where's Wil?" Red says.

"I don't know. If I did, I wouldn't be standing here right now," Beth says.

"Let's try this then. Where'd you get that photograph you gave to Gus?" Red says.

Beth watches Red's hands. They hang loose from his sides.

"That doesn't matter. What matters is that you give up trying to find him. Let us do our job," she says.

Beth crosses her hands at the waist. All the better to reach the holstered pistol on her belt beneath her jacket.

"Oh, I think it matters quite a bit. Because there's only way one you would have it," Red says. Clears his throat. "Jane."

Beth winces at the name. Sends the reaction to her big toe where it can't be seen. Presses down in her shoe.

"Jane? I don't know what you're talking about," Beth says. It's a weak lie. Of course she knows about how Red hired Jane.

"If I wanted bullshit, I'd go back to that dead cow from this morning," Red says. "You're working with Jane. She gave you the photo. Stop lying."

Red reaches in to his pocket. Beth mimics the action. Goes for the Glock 23.

"Hold on, hold on. I'm not going to shoot you. I'll let you know if I do," Red says. Pulls out the photo.

Beth relaxes. Keeps her hand on the holster anyway.