Chapter 34

The RV is spotless. All except for one area. The kitchen table. There's a nest of shredded cardboard. Breakfast cereal. Granola bars. A silver hump mills about in the mess.

A raccoon.

"Oh, shit," I say.

The raccoon makes a face roughly the same as mine.

I look back to Sam.

"You should take out that raccoon penis. Wave it around. Maybe it'll get the hint," I say.

Sam's already opted for the knife. Clenches it in her good hand.

"I've got a better idea," she says.

The next 10 minutes are straight out of a Three Stooges skit. Corralling the raccoon out the door or into the knife is like trying to pick the salt off a basket of French fries.

The raccoon hisses like a pack-a-day demon. Sounds bloated. Must be eating well in the Man Camp. We corner it. It hisses. Tries to bite us. We back away. It runs off. Repeat.

We finally herd the varmint out the door. It bolts into the night toward the main camp. Off toward heaps of 'coon paradise.

Sam clears her throat when we're done. Says, "I see there's just one bedroom in the back. A bunk bed in the hall. But you're taking the couch in the kitchen, right?"

The bunk in the hall makes more sense than the couch. I get her point, though. Not going to fight her on it.

"Sure. I'll take the couch," I say.

We take turns hitting the RV's small shower. The bathroom is fully stocked. Soap. Towels. Toothbrushes.

Oh, the hot shower. Never felt so good. Didn't realize how filthy I was until the drain backs up.

Abe and Tor kept quite the assortment of jeans and flannel shirts. They're baggy, but they come with belts.

I find a pile of blankets in a closet. Build a quick bed on the couch. Sleep hits quickly, but something wakes me only a few minutes later.

The shadow person is back.

*** PLEASE SUPPORT MY WRITING! ***

This story will only be posted on Wattpad for a limited time. If you'd like the full version, head to your favorite online e-book/book retailer and pick up your own digital/print copy. Search for "Invisible Hand Sobieck." Or leave a review of the book on Amazon once you're finished reading on Wattpad. Thank you. ~Ben