Chapter 38

Sam unwinds the penis bone from its chain. Dips it into the peanut butter jar. Spreads a thin layer on another piece of bread.

"I'm from Ohio. A big town, but a one-business town. And it ain't there anymore. Found myself with two options: Military or motherhood. Guess which one I picked?" Sam says.

I buy some time with another sticky bite of sandwich. Not sure if this is a trick question. It's set up like one.

"So where's your kid?" I say.

"Nowhere. I signed up for the Ohio National Guard. Made it halfway through training. Then they made some changes. Closed a base. Would've had to move across the state," Sam says.

"And then you had a kid?" I say.

"Wise ass. I dropped out of training. Took my chances on the road instead. Thumbed my way to the oil boom," Sam says. Cleans the penis bone with a napkin. "Your turn. What about you?"

Was hoping she wouldn't stop talking. Still curious.

I say, "Not much more to say. Told you everything already."

"Everything?"

"I skipped the boring parts," I say.

Now it's Sam's turn to be a wise ass.

"So where's your kid?" she says.

"You're funny," I say. "Not too many opportunities in Betrug for that. Or in much else of North Dakota."

Sam looks out the window. Watches the scrawny guy pick his nose outside. Still hasn't left our view.

"Hopefully he's from Betrug, too," she says. Nods to the scrawny guy.

"Never met him," I say.

We eat in silence for a minute or two.

"What about your family?" Sam says after the break in conversation.

I shake my head. "Not much to say there, either."

"You're a pretty boring person," Sam says. Grins.

"I come from a pretty boring place," I say. Return the grin. Helps ease into my next question. "So how'd you end up hitchhiking? Someone like you, seems like you'd at least have a car. You're not a total fuck up. Trying to keep a low profile or something?"

Sam leans over the table. Speaks in a whisper.

"I think I killed someone," she says.

*** PLEASE SUPPORT MY WRITING! ***

This story will only be posted on Wattpad for a limited time. If you'd like the full version, head to your favorite online e-book/book retailer and pick up your own digital/print copy. Search for "Invisible Hand Sobieck." Or leave a review of the book on Amazon once you're finished reading on Wattpad. Thank you. ~Ben