Chapter 55

Wil Reynolds, age 2_, of Betrug, North Dakota, passed away ________. Preceded in death by father Jon Reynolds. Survived by mother Mary Reynolds and Red Smith.

Gus's eyes do a dance as he reads the obituary. "This isn't right."

"I'll fill in Wil's age later," Red says.

"You know what I mean," Gus says. "Wil isn't dead. Or is he?"

Red drinks from his coffee cup. "He's not. That's why I haven't turned it in yet," he says.

Gus flips the paper over. Like he's expecting another version. There isn't one. Raps his fingers on the table.

"Why are you and Mary listed here? You're together now?" Gus says.

Red stays silent.

"What? No explanation? You just give me this and expect me to go away?" Gus says.

"You wanted to know, didn't you? Here it is. Put the pieces together. You wanted to play cops and robbers. Here's your chance," Red says.

"I don't feel like games. I'm done with your miles-long stare. Your little hints. Your clues. Just tell me," Gus says.

Red plucks the piece of paper away.

"That's all for today," Red says.

"So the plan was to let Jane kill him," Gus says. Remembers he's holding a breakfast sandwich. Takes another bite.

"No. The plan was to let Jane bring Wil to me," Red says.

Gus stops mid-chew. Swallows. "Holy shit, Red, what's going on here?"

They pause as the waitress brings a fresh carafe. Red puts on his phoniest grin as she does it.

"This so fucked up," Gus says.

"Watch your mouth," Red says. Crosses his arms. Tries to stare Gus into silence. Doesn't work.

"You got nothing more to say to me?" Gus says.

"Maybe later. You're going to be late for the festival," Red says.

Gus looks at his watch.

"Yeah, let's do that, Red. Let's talk later," Gus says. Stomps toward the door. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to meet with the community you try so hard to protect and avoid."

Red stuffs the obituary back into his pocket. Sips his coffee. Orders a second breakfast.

*** PLEASE SUPPORT MY WRITING! ***

This story will only be posted on Wattpad for a limited time. If you'd like the full version, head to your favorite online e-book/book retailer and pick up your own digital/print copy. Search for "Invisible Hand Sobieck." Or leave a review of the book on Amazon once you're finished reading on Wattpad. Thank you. ~Ben