5

*NALAH*

The moment I put my hand on the door knob to Mrs.Taylor's class I felt my mood drop. I would love nothing more than to go home right now, I don't wanna face Jovani.

I walked in and went right to my seat, refusing to look around because then our eyes might meet. Mrs. Taylor took attendance and explained today's assignment.

"For this next assignment I want everyone to have a partner."

Oh great.

"Get to know your partner. I want everyone to create a drawing that they feel represents their partner. We won't be presenting them, but the class with the most creative drawings gets a pizza party next Friday, the Friday before Thanksgiving break. So now, find someone to work with."

I looked up from the table for the first time and watched people shuffle around, eager to claim their friend as a partner. I assumed I would be allowed to work alone, but...I didn't have to.

"Hi Nalah." I looked up to see Jovani wearing an apologetic smile.

"Hi Jovani." I responded quietly.

"Do you wanna be my partner?"

Not really.

"Um..."

"Please." He pouted his lips and widened his eyes, making me laugh. "Aye she laughs!" He cheered. He sat down on the stool across from mine and got serious. "Nalah I am so sorry for what I said on broadcast yesterday. I don't know you and I had no right to judge you."

I bit my lip because I could feel my eyes watering. He reached across the table to grab my hand and a tear rolled down my cheek and onto the table.

"Please don't cry."

I wiped my eyes with the sleeve of my jacket and took a deep breath. I was surprised when Jovani got up and walked over to me, pulling me to my feet so that we could hug. I was even more surprised when I started sobbing into his chest.

"Mrs.Taylor, can we go out into the hall please?" Jovani asked.

"Yes...of course."

I could hear the concern in her voice, but she was nice enough not to ask about it. Once we were alone in the hall we sat on the floor with our backs against a set of lockers.

"What's wrong?" Jovani asked in a sad voice. "Is it just what I said or..."

I shook my head and wiped my tears again, which was pointless because more came rushing from my eyes.

"I hate being the new kid. No one has really made an effort to talk to me here and I'm too afraid to talk to someone first."

"Don't take it personally, people here are a$$holes, we don't get a lot of new students. Give it a few days, you'll fit right in, I promise."

I didn't believe him but I nodded my head anyway so that he'd feel like he comforted me.

"I just...I always imagined meeting you and Julian and then..."

"And then I called you weird on broadcast." He frowned. "I'm extremely sorry. I hope you can forgive me."

"Of course I can." I wiped my eyes and laughed. "I love you too much."

He pulled me to my feet again so that we could go back to class. "I love you too and so does Julian. We appreciate all of our fans."

Oh yeah...other people have fanpages for them. Other people support them. Other fans exist...and I'm just one of hundreds. I'm just a fan.