29

*JOVANI*

We'd just finished eating dinner when I heard a car door close.

"Nalah's here." I said, unlocking the front door.

"Hi." She smiled.

"Hey beautiful." I stepped aside to let her in and then locked the door behind her.

My eyes fell on the box she was holding, it was covered in candy cane printed wrapping paper.

"I brought your present." She smiled.

"Yours is upstairs."

I grabbed her hand and lead her up to my room. She sat on the edge of my bed while I grabbed her present from the top shelf of the closet.

"Here ya go." I said, handing her the red gift bag.

"For you." She smiled, handing me the present she had. "I hope no one already got you this."

"Whatever it is, even if they did, yours is better." I winked and sat next to her. "I hope you like what I got you, Andrea helped me."

I started ripping off the wrapping paper and she started pulling out tissue paper. When all the wrapping was gone, I was left with a box for black and silver headphones that I really wanted.

"Oh my god! Thank you!" I cheered, no one else had gotten me them. "How did you know?"

"I heard you say you wanted them on a broadcast last week."

"Wow. Thank you babe." I kissed her cheek, realizing she still didn't see what was in the bag.

"Sorry." She laughed. "I wanted to see your expression."

She looked inside the bag as she moved around and pulled out the floral skirt that Andrea said Nalah would like.

"Wow." She gasped. "It's so pretty. I love it."

Her smile was big, and it could only get bigger.

"Keep looking."

"Okay..." She raised her eyebrows and looked in the bag again.

"Jovani!" She pulled out a small leather gold studded backpack. "I can't believe you did this! I told you it was over priced."

"So." I shrugged. "You wanted it, I wanted you to have it."

"Jovani, thank you, so, so much." She kissed my cheek and hugged me.

When we went back downstairs we watched a movie with my family. By the end of it, it was still only 9pm, not quite late enough to go to sleep.

"Nalah are you ready to go?" My mom asked her, since Nalah's mom was working the night shift my mom volunteered to take her home.

"I guess so." Nalah sighed, clearly sad.

"Sweet heart I don't mind if you wanna spend the night."

"Really?" Nalah asked.

"Really, it's no bother, I'll take you home in the morning."

Nalah looked at me and frowned. "I don't have my stuff with me, and I need to take a shower. It's ok, I'll just go home."

Andrea saw me frown, and decided to save the day. "If you wanna ask your mom I'll wait. And if she says it's ok then I'll take you home to get your stuff and shower, I don't mind waiting."

"Okay...I'll text her now."

I looked at Andrea and mouthed "Thank You". She gave me a thumbs up and then we played the waiting game. I pretended to watch tv while waiting for Nalah's response.

A few minutes after Andrea went into the kitchen, Nalah checked her texts.

"My mom said no."

She got up and went to the kitchen to tell Andrea.

"I'm gonna go tell mom I'm taking you home." Andrea said sadly, walking to my parents' room.

"Maybe next time?" Nalah frowned.

"Yes, definitely." I tried to sound happy, but I failed. I wanted her to stay.