37

*JOVANI*

When my alarm clock started going off I groaned and quickly reached over to hit Dismiss. Back to school, ugh. And exams start next week.

"Julian! Wake up!" I yelled to him.

He started moving in his bed.

"Ok. Ok." He said.

I hadn't seen Nalah in two days, so when art class finally came, I couldn't stop smiling.

"I missed you." I told Nalah.

"I missed you too." She kissed my cheek and sat down.

Mrs.Taylor gave us back our clay whistles, and Nalah's was the best in the class, in my opinion. When she blew into it, it made a perfect solid noise, while everyone else's sounded like it was broken.

"Your whistle is perfect Nalah." David complemented.

"Thanks. I like yours." She smiled, clearly meaning her words.

"So how was you guys' break?" Mark asked.

"Mine was ok." Nalah shrugged.

I wondered if the thing with her dad was what made it "Ok."

"Mine was really good. What about you guys'?" I asked.

"Eh, I played Xbox the first week and got a PS4 so I played that last week." David told us happily.

"I just stayed up late, slept in, and ate a lot of unhealthy foods. I have no regrets." Mark assured us all.

When I looked over at Nalah she seemed sad, but I didn't want to ask about it in front of Mark and David.

"Your assignment this week will be to take one object related to your vacation and make it out of clay." Mrs.Taylor announced, after she'd taken attendance. "For example, if you slept all day, you can make a bed. Or if you went out of state maybe you could make the shape of that state. Just have fun with it, and try to get creative."

I decided that I was going to recreate my family's Christmas tree, Mark was going to create a bag of potato chips, and David started shaping a PS4 controller.

"What are you ganna do Nalah?" I asked her.

"Um..." She furrowed her brows, looking at her ball of clay. "I don't know yet. I had a lot of significant things happen over break."

I just nodded and started shaping my Christmas tree. Nalah didn't start manipulating her ball of clay until the last ten minutes of class, and all she did was make an awkward oval shape. Instead of asking about it, I decided to watch her work over the next few days until I knew what she was making.

When the bell rang for lunch I had just finished washing my hands, so I dried them and walked over to the door where Nalah waited for me.

"I'm so ready for lunch, I'm hungry." Nalah told me.

"Yeah same."

"Nalah!" Rosalie smiled when we walked out of the art room. "How was your break?"

"Good, yours?"

"It was good." Nalah nodded.

"How was your break Jovani?" Rose asked me.

"It was good."

"That's good. Sooo...I was thinking. This weekend I think you and Nalah should go on a double date with Nathan and I."

"Umm." I said, looking at Nalah. "Do you want to babe?"

"Sure." Nalah smiled. "That could be fun."

"Okay. I guess we're in." I told Rosalie.

"Good." She smiled.

We were at the cafeteria now and Rosalie was ready to take Nalah from me.

"Rose can I have just a second with Nalah?"

"Fine. I'll wait at the table." She turned and walked away.

Nalah looked at me, confused.

"Are you ok babe? You seem upset."

She shook her head. "No, I'm fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Jovani." She laughed. "I'm ok, just tired."

I raised my eyebrow. "Ok...if you say so."

"Can I have a kiss now?" Nalah smiled, looking into my eyes.

"Yes, yes you can."

I kissed her despite all the people that were around us and then let her walk back to Rosalie, who was waiting at their lunch table.