Everyone was talking about it and the boys were giving him high-fives.

February 22, 1999

At school today, Mark had just gotten back from a vacation in Aruba. His little sister told Shauna that he had met a girl there. Shauna laughed, and she didn't believe it. But everyone was talking about it and the boys were giving him high-fives.

Well, after school I went online and Mark was on. He told me everything because I promised not to tell Shauna. But I didn't promise that I wouldn't tell anyone else.

Apparently, the girl he met is 15 and they went to sloppy second base, and now they're going out. So Mark has another girlfriend. I immediately sent the whole conversation to Stacy and Gina, and Gina called Shauna. Shauna called me and told me that Mark had apologized, and asked if she should forgive him. 

I stared at the phone. [Which I could do, because it was a Clueless Hands-Free Phone.] "No!" I shouted. "Shauna, he cheated on you and he is going out with another girl! You can't trust him." She seemed desperate: "Then what should I do?"

I said, "Tell him you can't trust him and break up with him. If he goes out with someone else immediately after, get over him. If he seems really depressed and begs forgiveness, then give him about two weeks to realize what he did wrong, and if he asks you out again after that, say yes."

Shauna thought this was a good idea, but I doubt she'll have the guts to break up with him. She worships the ground he walks on. It's really pathetic.

But I think I'm really jealous of their relationship. [...?]