That always works for you... that look

June 7, 2000  

Today is Wednesday and the semi is on Friday! I'm so beyond excited and psyched for it! We're all going over Maggie's house at 5:30 to get ready and put on makeup and such, and then we're meeting the guys at the school at 7:30 when the dance starts. I absolutely can't wait!  

Today, Steven did the cutest thing. I saw him before 7th period in front of the Social Studies room, where he was headed. I was going downstairs to Language Arts, and I stopped to talk with him for a moment. I need to explain something quickly before I continue though, okay? [...Okay!] Steven's friends like Tyler, Jacob, Louis, and James all tease him and call him "Emily's Bitch" because he usually does nice things for me if I ask him the right way. But I know he's not my "bitch" - he's just a really nice boy and he wants to make me happy.  

Anyways, in front of the Social Studies room, Steven took my Language Arts binder and assignment notebook and put them on top of his Social Studies stuff. He said, "If I walk into Social Studies with all these books, people will think I'm really smart!" We both laughed and I said, "You want to hold my books? You like it?" "No!" He laughed, and tried to give them back to me. But I touched his arm and looked into his eyes with my most wide-eyed, puppy-dog look. "Please? Walk me to my next class."  

He sighed, giving in, and laughed. "That always works for you... that look." [For the record, that look only works if you're trying to get someone to carry your books down the stairs to Language Arts class. It doesn't work for getting out of a speeding ticket, for instance. Or getting a bank loan.] And he carried my books down the stairs.  

On the way, we passed James, who said, "No way, Steven. Stop it!" But Steven just laughed. We also saw Emma, who smiled and said nastily, "Steven, Emily's got you wrapped around her finger." Doing what I do to him to anyone else could probably be considered manipulation. But he is completely aware of what I pull off, and we joke about how he can't resist my looks, when I bat my eyelashes and say, "Please?" He tries it on me sometimes, too, as a joke.  

Anyways, when we got to the bottom of the stairs I took my books from him and had the sudden urge to kiss him on the cheek, so I did. And so what if I have him "wrapped around my finger," as Emma put it? He has me wrapped around his finger, too. I would do absolutely anything for Steven, I love him so much. I feel so close to him - he's one of my best friends as well as my boyfriend. I hope we go out for a very long time! I don't want to lose such an amazing person.