Chapter 4

The family dinner

*Cookie's POV*

I left Lucious' office and went downstairs. When I got outside,I called my girl Tameeka,while waiting for a taxi. She answered her phone on the second ring. "Wassup,girl? Ain't you supposed to be at Empire makin that son of a bitch,Lucious give you half of dat company?"she asks. "Yeah. I did,but it didn't work. Instead I got my stupid heart broken cos of some bitch Lucious been messing around with while I was in jail."I say,sniffling.

"Oh shit! What she look like?"she asks me. "Oh...she look like a fake ass Haley Berry."I say,laughing. "Hahahahahaha! Girl yo ass is rude. Now listen. You ain't there for Lucious. You there to build a relationship with your sons. "Tameeka says. "Yeah,that's true,Tameeka."I say. "Well....if you still got some problems we could hit the club and you can forget all this mess"she suggests. "Naw,it's all good. I got a dinner with em tonight. So I gotta go."I say.

"Wait,wait,wait. Hold up....is it a family dinner or just the two of ya'll?"she asks me. "Tameeka,don't get any ideas...it's just a family dinner."I say to her,smiling. "Oh..but you still gotta dress to kill. That Anika bitch needs to be put in her place a'ight?"she asks. "Yeah,I know". We talk about what I should wear and eventually,when my cab pulls up in front of me,I get in and hang up.

When I get to my penthouse it's 12:00,so I take a nap and wake up around 14:00. I get up,do my nails,paint em black and buff em. Then I do my hair. I put it in a bun and leave a few strands down on the right and one low one on the left as well. I look for a dress to wear tonight and come across a long,white dress that goes all the way to the floor and hugs my figure tightly before it flows down from my knees. It's a mermaid dress without straps. It's open near my hips and accentuates all my curves. I'm gon show off what my momma gave me.

I put on my make up and apply a bold shade of red lipstick to my lips. I grab a white clutch bag and put my phone,wallet,earphones and mints in my bag. And the additional tampons incase I rode the crimson wave.

It's now 18:30 and yeah,it took a long time to fix myself. I go outside,call my driver and he drives me to this dinner. I arrive at Lucious' house and in my head,I'm gasping. It's quite huge. It's a triple storey mansion.

I walk out of the cab and my white louboutines make a clip clap sound as I walk to the gate. I buzz it and a security guard lets me in. "You've been expected,Miss.Lyon. Welcome"he says. I nod and smile,cos I'm still in shock of how big Lucious' crib is!

When I get inside,I hear classical music and people talking. I distinctly hear a female voice. The owner of that voice turns out to be the fake ass Haley Berry chick. I'mma call her Boo-Boo Kitty from now on.

I walk in and everybody goes silent. The only thing I can hear is the orchestra playing piano in the background. Lucious stands up and walks towards me. "Cookie,you look beautiful",he says as he attempts to kiss my cheek but I turn my head and walk towards Jamal. "M-Momma?"he asks me,in his still adorable but more bass filled voice. He's so grown up. "Yes,honey,it's me"I say,crying. He stands up and walks closer to me then hugs me so tightly that I think I'm gonna barf up all of today's food.

As soon as we're done hugging,he smiles and says: "momma,I got so much to tell you! I missed you so much"he says,grinning. I smile and walk towards Andre. "Hello,mom"he said,in a deep voice. "Hello,Dre! I missed you so much my boy!!! You made something of yourself"I say,as I hug him tight. "What do you mean,mom?"he asks. "You all dressed up in a suit. And you ain't the same gangsta little boy I knew. You a successful young man who's gon achieve great things in life"I say,looking into his dark eyes. He smiles widely and some white girl shows up next to him and greets me.

"Hi Mrs.Lyon. I'm Rhonda"she says. I fake smile and look at Lucious in a "what the fuck is this?" typa way. He just takes a sip of his drink and kissed Boo Boo Kitty on the cheek. That made me snap. "Oh,so we playin the silent treatment game now Lucious...a'ight. You asked for it. I haven't spoken to you in 17 years,I can go as long as you want"I say. "That'd be nice" Boo Boo Kitty says. "Shut up,nobody's talking to you!"I snap. She looks taken aback and looks at Lucious. He's not gon do anything.!

He deeply chuckles and says: "I'm not giving you silent treatment,Cookie. I wanted you to hear it from Dre."he says. "She's my wife,momma"Dre says. "Oh!"I say,genuinely shocked. Shit,I thought she was one of them journalists that come to Lucious' house to ask him shit everyday. Once it gets too awkward,I walk towards a young boy. He's probably 21 or somethin. He's busy on his phone and has a funny haircut. He's wearing a gold chain and has big lips. He looks like me and Lucious. "Hakeem"I say.

He looks up from the phone and narrows his eyes. "What?"he asks. "It's me,your mother"I say. "So?"he asks. I and believe this boy! I'mma whip his black ass till he gives me some respect. Ain't nobody gon disrespect me like this!

"So be happy,boy! I missed you!"I say. He scoffs and says: "You ain't been here all my life so why you only come now? I don't need you!"he shouts. "Hakeem Lyon,you will apologise right now!"I shout back at him. He stays silent and stands up to face me. "RIGHT NOW!"I yell louder. "Fine fine a'ight! Sorry..."he says,walking out the door.

"Where do you think you're goin,Hakeem?"Lucious asks. "What do you think?"Hakeem asks. Oh,he being sarcastic now. "Fine,let him leave. Tomorrow,I'mma show him where he stands in this family. He gotta have some respect. Damn,Lucious! How did you even raise him. He seems like a spoilt,entitled,disrespectful boy"I angrily say.

-----------------------------
TIME SKIP

We've just started eating dessert and Lucious is going to make a toast. "To my lovely ex wife,Cookie. She made all this possible and helped me when I was feeling blank while writing my music. I wanna thank her for our boys and everything she's done. To Cookie"he toasts. Everybody repeats the same thing.

The dinner is finished and everybody's gone home. It's just Lucious,Boo Boo Kitty and I.

There's an awkward silence because we can't talk deep bidness while Boo Boo Kitty's still here. So I clear my throat and say: "Well,I gotta go now. See ya'll soon!"I say,gettin up. I walk over to the end of their staircase and slightly trip over a piece of the folded mat by the door. Boo Boo Kitty laughs. "Anika....that's not nice...."Lucious says,chuckling with her. "But I'm not a NICE girl..."she says,seductively biting her lip. "I hope not...."Lucious says in in his nasty voice. When I clear my throat,he says:"Girl,get outta here. I'll be upstairs in a minute"Lucious says,winking. "Yes Lu"she says.

I walk away from the door and get my driver. He's about to open the door when Lucious grabs my hand,making me face him. "Let me go!"I say lowly and dangerously in my hood voice. He does as I say and a look of concern flashes through his eyes.

"Whats wrong,baby?"he asks me,bringing his right hand to cup my left cheek. I remove his hand from my face,climb in my car,pull down the windows and say: "Don't baby me,Lucious! I already got someone." I say.

He chuckles in disbelief. "Oh...who?"he says,challenging me.

"Ain't none of yo business!"I say slightly shifting in my seat cos I know it's a lie and I think he knows it too but he's a bit uncertain.

My driver drives off and I leave Lucious standing by his doorstep lookin like a fool. Yeah,I bet he ain't even gon put it down on Boo Boo Kitty no more cos he's so focused on who my man could be.

But how will I find a guy in time to show him off to Lucious? I gotta make a plan!