The Boy Who Never Speaks ~ Chapter 2

(Yes, this is reader x Garroth, not reader x Laurence, just trust me!)

Your POV

After the long, steamy shower, I stepped onto the cold tile floor of my bathroom. It was tiny, and a little cramped. I comb out my (h/l) hair, but I just leave it down after that. My outfit lays on my counter; a (f/c) tee with a black vest over it and three-quarter jeans. I step into my Jordans and walk into the kitchen.

I let out a sigh as my eyes fall on the pile of white envelopes on the counter. Bills, that I cannot pay. I don't even have a job, how am I supposed to pay for an apartment building all by myself? I light some candles for light, as I want to use the least amount of electricity possible. I heat up some oatmeal for breakfast, pouring in a small amount of creamy, ribbon-like milk. As I eat, I glance around my kitchen. The marble counters wrap around the small room, with a matching island in the middle. The island sits on the hard wood floors and holds a basket of random things in the kitchen that don't really belong anywhere. The low ceiling hangs over me along with the thoughts of going to school later today.

I sit my bowl and spoon in the sink, and head back to my bedroom to pack the rest of my stuff and finish getting ready. But one question kept racing through my mind. Who was that guy who 'saved' me?

////////

I steal a glance at my clock. 7:00. Better head out. I throw my (f/c) backpack over my shoulder and leave my apartment. 

The sky was still dark, like a blanket of dawn-blue sky draped over the Earth. Cars full of adults heading to work or taking their children to school occasionally zoomed by, but hardly anyone was walking. I mean, I was the only person walking. I continue to take in the new setting, the whole city thing is new to me. I come from a rural area, but we just moved here not to long ago. The traffic lights glowing over the paved streets and rows of light-emitting street lamps made it much brighter at this hour than it would be at this hour back home. Hang on, it's someone walking to school... I look out further ahead to satisfy my suspicions, and yes, someone is walking to school! Maybe I could have one friend. That wouldn't hurt, would it?

"Hey! Are you walking to school?!" I shout, jogging to catch up with them. They turn around to reveal a tall, chiseled boy with light brown hair and sky blue eyes. "Yeah. Are you new around here?" He said with a confidant voice. "Uh, yeah. So, does anybody else walk to school?" I ask curiously. He was wearing a navy blue and white striped shirt, with dark denim jeans. "Yeah, one guy. I think he has something wrong with his throat, nobody has ever heard him talk. He sits alone all the time, too." The mystery guy explained. "Oh. Well, my name is (f/n). What's yours?" I ask, changing the subject. If I don't become this guy's friend... people will think I don't have a voice. 

"Oh, right. My name is Laurence, nice to meet you. Oh, hey! Look, there's the school! Come on!" He said, speeding up in the direction of a tall, brick building. I began running after him.

/////

"Wow." I said as my eyes wandered around the hundreds of people walking through the main glass doors. "Heh, yeah. Well anyway, I'll show you the office and you can get your schedule." He said, dragging me inside. "Okay, okay! Calm down!" I said, yanking away my hand. He laughed, and continued his quest to the office. We found our way, and he waited for me while I talked to an old woman with short blond hair. "Hi, I need my schedule." I said politely. "Are you (f/n) (l/n)?" She said with a cranky tone. I nod, and she hands me a small slip of paper. I thank her and find Laurence. "Sweet, most of the same classes. First, we have English. Follow me!" He said, leading me to a small classroom. We sat down next to each other, and a young woman came out. She was kind of stubby looking, with large black glasses and medium length blond hair. She wore a purple button down shirt and black pants. 

"Hello, class. I'm Miss Emmalyn, your teacher. Hey! Get your feet of the desk!" She said with a fascinated tone in her voice. 

/////

The bell rang. "That's lunch!" Laurence yelled victoriously. I laughed, and we headed to a large room, which I assumed to be the cafeteria. "I gotta go buy lunch, find a place to sit!" He said running off to the lunch line. I looked around, before finding a table with one person sitting there. His back was to me. He was wearing a familiar red hoodie, and I realized who he was. Gr... I need to talk to him!

I jogged to his table, and slammed my hand down in front of him. He didn't even flinch. "You kept my promise, I see." He said blankly. "Do you know how much I hate you?" I asked. He didn't move. "What happened last night, that stays between me and you. Got it?" I growled. "Fine, but I mean, who would I tell?" He replied just as flatly. I rolled my eyes, and turned on my heel to find a dumbfounded Laurence. "W-Whaa... How did you-?" He tried to speak. I then realized everyone was looking at me. "What?" I shrugged. "I thought... he's the one who never talks!" Laurence said. I glanced at Garroth, and back at Laurence. "He talked to me. Last night. And I prefer not to talk about it. And, he talked to me right now. So, yes, he does talk." I said simply. I turned, and slung my bag on the table Garroth was at. "Join me or not." I said. Laurence followed without a word. "So, Garroth, I-" Laurence interrupted. "Garroth? That's your name?" He asked. Garroth didn't look at him. "Hello? Earth to.. whoever you are!" He repeated. "Garroth. Answer him!" I said sternly. Garroth looked at me, then at Laurence. "Yes." He said quietly. I raised an eyebrow. He obeyed me...

"Garroth, why do you talk and obey me?" I ask. His eyes found the floor. "The fact that you met me last night, was supposed to be a secret." He said quietly. "Well, you should have told me it was a secret." I replied. He looked at me. "You don't get it." He said before leaving. I sighed, and held my head with one hand. "This is so weird." Laurence mumbled under his breath. 

Yeah. It is.