Chapter 5- The Unexpected

"Let's go sweetheart, Mr. Nathan is in my office" I replied paying off the bill and moving out while keeping her hands entwined in me like nothing happened.Jo

Josh's POV

We were back and Mr. Nathan and me were discussing or should I say I was being tested whether I could really represent the case. Most surprising was Mr. Nathan was not the one who was arguing with me it was Mr. Knight.

If it was going to be him who was going to take the demo then he could have done that in the morning. He wasted my whole day on his stupid case. I didn't know why he was being this vigilant of-course we have to be. But he was not making sense when he kept on bringing some points which were not at all relevant. We kept arguing till it was 5 in the evening. I was feeling more and more anxious to leave. Finally the devil told me that session could be wind up. While I was making my way out of his office he called me back.

I winced and controlled everything in me not to blast him and turned to face him.When I did so  I found him standing too close I stepped back a little when he said "Miss Prescott I will pick you at 8 we have to be at a dinner party tonight" He said in his casual tone.

"Excuse me, but when did I agree to go with you to the dinner party" I asked confused.

"Well you didn't but I am taking you there" He replied in his serious tone.

"Who do you think you are to decide that I will go to a party with you in my personal time" I replied getting irritated.

"Well I pay for your time, so you are mine while you are dealing with my case. And while you are on it, I wanted you to know that this party is being hosted by my cousin celebrating his birthday" He replied.

"So???" I asked folding my hands.

"So Miss Prescott, I can't go without a date and since he is the same person I have filed a case against it would be a good opportunity for you to assess your enemy" He answered gruffly.

"Are you telling me that you are going to a dinner party hosted by your cousin on whom you are filing a case? and no that is not enough you are also dragging me along with you" I asked not believing.

"Yes I am" He answered dryly.

"Must be that you are overworked or something Mr. Knight. Because I don't know how you think that you are going to be welcomed in a party of a person whom you are dragging  all way to the court. Don't you think it's crazy? Moreover I am your lawyer not girlfriend to escort you to parties" I told him.

"Look Miss Prescott, for you it might seem crazy but really It's not and second thing I am very much aware of you being my lawyer and not girlfriend. I want you as an escort so you can enjoy while you work for me" He said in stern voice.

"Well I am surprised you think it is not" I answered mocking him. "I don't have time for these kind of stupid ideas. So I am out of here" I said while stepping back so I could get away from him.

I stopped when he said"Miss Prescott, before you jump to conclusions Miss. Let me tell you something."

"Oh my goodness  you still have something to say Mr. Knight" I asked not believing.

"Miss the thing is he has invited me to his birthday party because I am his family, I am also the person who has filed a case on him but also he wants to know who I have hired to win the case. And in our case that is you. He wants to assess who you are and how you are going to handle things. It may not sound normal to you but It's in our family to evaluate our enemy before we can strike them".

"Really Mr. Knight if he wants to evaluate me don't you think it would be wise to take away that choice from them, by me not going to the party and surprise him in the court?" I replied sarcastically.

"Are you not confident Miss Prescott?" He asked raising his brows.

"What ??" I asked not believing what I heard.

"Since you are thinking of cowering in shadows and not face your enemies. I am doubting myself whether I made a right choice of hiring you " He said

"Are you for real Mr. Knight?? What has 'my not going to the party' got to do with my level of confidence?" I yelled quoting 'my not going to the party' with fingers.

"Well it has everything to do with your confidence Miss. I hired you because you are the best. But your not showing up in the party will boost the morale of my enemy that the lawyer I hired can't even stand infront of him" He replied.

"Do you always think of only one way don't you think it can also mean that I will be mysterious to him and he would be unaware of what he is going to be against. Don't you think a faceless enemy is far dangerous than the one with the face? Don't you think we can catch him offguard when he doesn't find anything about me" I countered.

"You have a way with the words Miss.. That's what I like about you but now is not the time for this. So be ready I am picking you up at 8 and don't think you can ditch me because if you didn't then say goodbye to your firm because by tomorrow it will no longer exist"He said smirking.

"Mr. Knight are you trying to blackmail me" I asked not believing it was happening at all and worst to me.

"No Miss Prescott I am asking my rights. Well seems like you have not gone through the contract you signed with me". He said smiling.

"I did not sign any with you Mr. Knight, sure you are mistaken" I said shrugging.

"You sure did" He said handing over a blue file to me.

I opened the file and could not believe there was my damn signature on it and but I didn't remember me signing it. Then It dawned, my assistant Ruby had me signed one blue file after I had my meeting with Mr. Knight the first day and she didn't let me read it stating she has to hand it over to Mr. Ashley since he is on her for that file. 

I took the file with me and stormed out of his office. 

Ethan's POV

After the lunch I could feel she was irritated. But when I called Nathan in the office she felt quiet relieved and I didn't like it. Even though he was my friend and she didn't have any romantic feelings but I felt like he was barging in on our personal time.

When I told Nathan that I want him to cross question Jocelyn on the case. He felt uncomfortable and initially he asked some and when he told he was satisfied I could not hold back and kept discussing the points over and over. But to keep her near me I was fine to irritate her. I wanted to see emotions on her emotionless face I have been seeing for such a long time. I wanted her to feel something for me and I was glad that I evoked in her at least dislike or may be hatred, but some emotion rather than the emotionless talk I had with her the first day in her office.

When she was leaving I could not stop myself from inviting her to the ball. The ball which Alain was hosting. In fact  he was my accomplice for this fake case. It made me smile that she could not say no to me because she may be ready to loose her job but she won't let others face the same consequence my love was too kind for her own good.