∞Chapter 16∞

Song: This Kiss- Carly Rae Jepsen 

"Don't let people discourage you... Just fluff out your tutu and dance away." -Anonymous

After the power turned back on, I went up to my room and turned on my music. Bobbing my head, I flipped through a magazine I kept in my nightstand drawer, and just as the sky started changing colors, the sound of the front door closing sounded from downstairs.

"Brooke? Where are you?" Nate hollered, and I pushed my door open with my foot before looking at my magazine again.

"I'm in my room. Come up!" Nate walked to his room first, and then he walked back to mine. I glanced over my shoulder at him, smiling. "What's up, Jackson?"

Nate closed the door behind him before he stood in front of my bed. I shot him a confused look, and he sighed heavily. "We need to talk."

"Shoot." I replied, pausing my music as I sat up on my bed, and Nate hesitated, running his hand through his already disheveled hair.

"I don't think you should go on another date with Kenny."

Staring at him, I tried to see if he was serious or not. His lips were in a straight line, and his arms were tightly crossed over his chest. By the way he looked anywhere but me, I knew he was serious. Whenever Nate was nervous, he wasn't able to look me in the eyes.

"You're dead serious."

He nodded.

"Why?"

Nate sighed again, biting on his lip. "Reasons."

My eyes narrowed into slits as I slowly stood, mimicking his stance. "You're not the boss of me. If I want to go out with my boyfriend, I sure as hell will."

"Listen to me for once, Brooke." He groaned, walking closer to me. "Don't go on that date tomorrow. Do you really think I would tell you not to go if there wasn't a good reason?"

"Then tell me the reason why I shouldn't go, and I'll listen."

Nate stared at me for a minute before he sighed again, closing his eyes. "I can't. I just need you to trust me."

I bitterly laughed, anger rushing through my veins. Nate opened his eyes and stared at me again, and I could tell by the way his eyes pleaded with me he knew I was going to explode, but I didn't care. He had a lot of nerve talking about trust.

"Trust you!? You expect me to trust you after you told the whole world I was obsessed with you, constantly belittle me, and act nice, only for you to turn around and be rude again!?" I scoffed. "You're stupid if you think I would ever trust you."

"You don't wanna trust me? Fine." Nate growled, leaning closer to me. "But tell me, Brooke. Where's your boyfriend right now? Is he alone?"

The way Nate's eyes blazed with fire made me curious. What was he hinting at? That Kenny was cheating? Yeah, right. Kenny was the most genuine, loyal person I knew, while Nate had probably been with every girl in the state of California.

Come on, Brooke. You know exactly what he's trying to say.

I did. It didn't mean I wanted to acknowledge the fact that there was a possibility it could be true.

"He's at home. By himself." I justified, crossing my arms over my chest, and Nate bitterly laughed.

"I never pegged you as the oblivious kind."

"Yeah? I never pegged you as a hypocrite, but I guess we both were wrong."

Nate's eyes darkened as he glowered at me. "Dammit, Brooke! I'm trying to protect you!"