∞Chapter 37∞

Song: I'd Rather Go Blind- Beyonce

"When you meet the one who changes the way your heart beats, dance with them to that rhythm for as long as the song lasts." -Kirk Diedrich

"Brooke! Come down here!" My mother yelled from downstairs, and I rolled out of bed with a groan. I sluggishly walked downstairs to the kitchen where mom was sitting at the table, sorting papers. "I have a work party tonight, and you have to go."

"Why? I don't wanna go." I groaned, leaning against the doorway, and mom shot me a look, signaling I had no choice.

"Sorry, honey. You have to go." Mom faced the staircase, yelling, "Nate! Come here!"

Nate ran down the stairs and into the kitchen. He stood beside me, and all of my senses shut off from the proximity between us. Even after the night we laid together, I still couldn't handle being so close to him. I couldn't handle looking at him without crying.

"Nate, you're going to my work party tonight," Nate nodded, but then mom glanced between the two of us, "And Brooke is going to be your date."

That was when my senses returned.

"Wait, what?" I looked at her incredulously, and she shot me a cheeky grin before looking back at Nate.

"It's a formal party. You have to bring a date." She explained, crossing her arms over her chest. "Oh, and you have to dress up. Preferably a nice dress for you, Brooke, and a nice tux for you, Nate. Be ready by six."

For a second, I stared at my mother, and then I glanced out of the corner of my eye at Nate, to find out he was already looking at me. Shaking my head, I whipped around, my eyes becoming blurry. "No. I can't do this."

"Brooke!" My mom shouted as I ran out the back door, and as soon as I was outside, a sob escaped my lips. I swore I was alone, but then the back door opened again, and his cologne filled my nose.

"Brooke, why'd you run away?" He questioned, moving closer to me, and I shook my head, wrapping my arms around my waist.

"I can't go to that party, and I can't go as your date." I sobbed, shaking my head again. "It's all too much. This is too much."

As I sobbed, Nate walked behind me until his chest was pressed against my back, and then he pushed my hair off my shoulder, letting his hand rest on my arm. As my sobs ceased, Nate pressed a lingering, feathery kiss on my shoulder, before he let his lips brush against the skin of my ear.

"Please go. Your mom needs you to go. It's important." He whispered, and then he kissed the soft spot behind my ear, before letting his lips rest against my ear again. "Don't forget, you still have my heart, love."

And then he was gone.

***

After much debate, I finally decided to go to the party for my mom. That didn't mean his words weren't still lingering in my mind, though.

I pulled my long blond hair into a braid bun, swooping my bangs to the side, and then I curled two dangling pieces by my ears. Slipping the lavender dress on mom bought me, I adjusted it slightly, but I couldn't get the zipper up. I knew mom was busy getting ready, so I only had one option left to help me.

"Nate!" I yelled, and two minutes later, his footsteps were walking closer to me. When he was close enough, I let my hands fall from the zipper. "Can you zip this?"

Nate walked behind me, and the touch of his finger tips skimming against my bare skin burned into me. He zipped my dress, and walked out without a single word. Sighing, I pushed my long, sparkling diamond earrings through the holes, and then slipped on the necklace Nate bought me for my birthday. I held it in my hand for a second, and then I did my makeup before looking at myself in the mirror one more time. Sliding on my silver heels, I walked downstairs to see Nate and my mom talking. Their voices were low, so I couldn't understand what they were saying, but then Nate turned around, and my knees grew weak.