Chatper 41

Song: Back to the Start- Jake Miller

"Find something that makes you happy and don't let anyone take it away from you." -Luke Hemmings

One year later...

The last softball game I would ever play in high school had finally arrived.

Things had gone pretty well my senior year, and the fact that it was my last high school softball game as a captain, and my four years of glory were almost over, was pretty bittersweet. We were still undefeated, and while I was sad to leave my softball family, I was excited to move forward, and maybe even into the pros.

Nate and I were still together as well. We had been together for almost a year and a half, and I couldn't have been happier. I was really head over heels for the still widely popular international heartthrob, and I was the lucky girl who got to call him mine.

I was voted prom queen (shocking, honestly. I was the most ungraceful klutz to ever live), which Nate went as my date, and even gave a performance. He released another album which climbed to the top of the billboard charts overnight, and I might have sang a song or two with him.

On the day of my last game, I took my time as I slid on my white and red jersey, my number and last name proudly shining on the back, and wiggled into my softball pants one last time. Tightening the black belt around my pants, I threw my hair into a pony tail, and pulled on my socks. I smeared a black line under each of my eyes, and then I pulled on my cleats, lacing them up. Standing in front of the mirror, I smiled wide, slipping my Jacksonville softball hat on.

"This is it." I whispered to myself, placing my hands on my hips as I blew out a breath. "Your last high school softball game as captain."

As I started making my way downstairs to my truck (a birthday present from mom and dad), my phone buzzed. When I saw the name that popped up, my smile broke into a grin.

My boy <3: Hey, love. Good luck at your game today. I'm sorry I couldn't be there, but I know you'll kill it. Knock 'em dead, beautiful. I love you.

I texted him back before hopping in my truck and driving towards the field. When I reached the dugout, the whole team was there, their voices filling the air. I hung my bag up on the fence, breathing in the smell of the chalked up dirt and freshly cut grass. As my eyes scanned the field, I took in the new painted white lines outlining the diamond, the brand new sparkling white plates, and finally, the same old pitcher's mound that had been planted in the ground since my middle school days. The coaches wanted to buy a new one, but I specifically requested they keep the old one at least until after I was gone, considering it was the only pitcher's mound I had ever known. The only mound that had ever felt like home.

It was bittersweet to know it would be the last time I'd ever pitch a strike on that mound, ever run those bases, or even hit a ball in the batter's square, but that field had given me more than I could ever ask for, and just getting to play on it was an honor. Getting to play my last senior game on it was beyond amazing, and even though I would be saying goodbye to it all-- high school, Jacksonville High fields, and my team-- I was happy to get to spend my last game right there in my hometown with my family and friends.

The girls and I ran out to the field, running our laps and stretching. Once we were done, I huddled them around me for one last pep talk. For the first half, we reminisced old memories, laughed at our dumb decisions, and recalled our best moments as a team, and then once the ref called out, reminding us we only had about fifteen minutes to the start of the first inning, the girls went quiet, and I prepared for one more pep talk.

"Alright, girls. This is our last game ever for most of us, so let's make it count. We have worked so hard as a team, remaining undefeated through all four years of our high school days. Today is our last chance to make it good, and to make it count." I paused to look around at each girl, and then I smiled, continuing my talk. "I'm going to miss all of you, and I couldn't ask for a better team to be my second family. You guys are my sister's, and no matter where we go, whose team we are on, and even if we play the game against each other, you will always be my family. My team. Now, let's get out there and win this thing!"