∞Chapter 26∞

Song: Firework- Katy Perry 

"All the fireworks in the world couldn't describe the emotions you stir in my heart." -Anonymous

The fourth of July had finally arrived, and I was actually excited for once. My family had a big party and invited the neighborhood, the softball and baseball team, and kids from school. Every year, we threw the same party, and the party always consisted of eating, socializing, and ending the night with fireworks.

I had been awake for a couple of minutes, but I didn't want to move because it felt so good to be in Nate's arms. The past two months, we switched between each other's rooms. We probably had a more progressed relationship than people who had been together for a year, and I definitely wasn't complaining. Smiling, I snuggled into his chest, and his eyes fluttered open. Nate let out a deep breath, kissing me on the forehead.

"Good morning, love." He whispered with a sexy, raspy, morning voice. Heat crawled up my face, but I smiled at him anyway. I kissed him, and when we pulled away, he smiled back at me. He sat up, and I sat up beside him, taking in the morning. Nate stretched, his muscles flexing. "What time does the party usually start?"

I sighed, rolling out of my bed. "Ah, hell. I forgot about that. It usually starts at one, but people always show up at twelve."

Glancing at the clock, I noticed it was already ten. I watched as Nate stood, pecked my lips, and then walked out of my room, closing the door. After getting a quick shower, I changed into a sparkly red, white, and blue tank top I bought, and a pair of high rise denim shorts. Once I did my hair, I slipped on my white flip-flops, grabbed my phone, and walked down to the kitchen where mom was preparing the food platters.

"Hey, honey." She greeted, smiling brightly at me. "Would you mind going out back and helping Nate set up chairs?"

I smiled back, nodding. Sliding open the back door, I see Nate setting chairs up around the fire pit. I grabbed three and placed them along the fence, and he placed three more beside mine. We spread the chairs all over the back yard, and then we set up the horseshoes and corn hole games on the other side of the yard. After we were finished setting up, we set up the table mom was going to place the food on.

By then, it was eleven-thirty, which meant people would be showing up soon. I glanced over at Nate, and he smiled. Walking over to him, I wrapped my arms around his neck, and he wrapped his around my waist.

"I like that shirt. You look good in it." He whispered, brushing his lips against my ear, and my face heated up, so I tried to hide it by burying my face in his shoulder. Nate let out a lively laugh, pulling me closer to him. "Love, you don't have to try to hide. I already saw you blush."

I groaned, and Nate laughed harder, which made me bury my face in his shoulder that much more. He pressed a gentle, sweet kiss against my cheek, and then he whispered in my ear, "It's okay, baby. I think it's adorable."

Slowly, I looked up at him, and his smile broke into a grin as he leaned in, pressing a long, passionate kiss against my lips. We smiled through the kiss, and I swore I had never felt something so amazing in my whole life.

"Brooke! Nate! Come get the food!" Mom hollered from the kitchen, and Nate and I pulled away, laughing.

As we walked into the kitchen, Nate pulled me against him once again, whispering, "We'll continue that later."

He winked at me, and I rolled my eyes, smiling. We grabbed two platters per each of us, and took them to the food table. Mom made hot dogs, hamburgers, buffalo chicken dip, meat sauce, and a fruit and vegetable platter. For dessert, she made cheesecake, cupcakes, and a half vanilla, half chocolate cake.

Around twelve, people started arriving, and by one, everyone had showed up. There were all sorts of groups-- the adults, the sports teams, and just regular kids. Surprisingly enough, Nate and I never really split up to talk to different people. We stayed together the whole time. We weren't being anti social-- we talked to everyone we could-- but we managed to stay around each other throughout the day. Around five, after I had talked to the softball team for a while, I walked over to where Nate was sitting. I sat beside him, and he smiled at me.

"So, Jackson," I said, leaning back in the chair, "Why the title, Us Against Them?"

Nate's smile grew as he grabbed my hand, intertwining it with his. He motioned for me to lean over, which I did, and then he planted a small kiss on my lips. When we pulled away, he gazed into my eyes, grinning. "Because it's always going to be me and you, Anderson. Us Against Them." He held my face in his hands as he leaned closer. "And I plan on coming out on top with you every time."

***

The night sky had finally settled in, which meant it was time for the best part of the fourth of July-- the fireworks.

Everyone gathered in the backyard, laying out blankets. I sat with Nate, and beside me was Marilyn. Jamie sat beside Nate, and the rest of the team gathered around us. Nate wrapped his arm around me, pulling me close, and I rested my head against his shoulder.

My dad set the fireworks on the ground, and I watched as fireworks burst above, searing their brilliant light and vivacious color onto my retina. Each one drew a pattern into the sky, something unique and breathtaking, never to be repeated exactly no matter how many are ignited and sent to their sky-bound destiny. One after another, all different colors, fireworks lighting up the sky.

I was watching in awe when Nate grabbed my face, turning me towards him, and planted a long, passionate kiss on my lips. My hands splayed across his chest as I smiled through the kiss, and he smiled as well. The fireworks still boomed in the background, but they were a mere echo when he was kissing me. We pulled away, still smiling, and the lights from the fireworks brought out the features on Nate's face I had never seen. I caressed his cheek with my hand, and his smile grew.

"Happy fourth of July, love." He whispered, and I laid my head on his shoulder. Nate wrapped his arm around me, and we both looked up at the fireworks.

As we watched the night sky light up with colors, I finally realized there was no place I would rather be, than right there in the arms of the guy I was in love with. And for the first time, I wasn't planning on denying my feelings. The only problem was, gaining the strength to admit them to him. As I stared up at him, my smile grew, and I moved closer to him, taking in everything around me.

I love you, I thought, but didn't say, and it was almost as if he had read my mind, because the moment I thought those words, the biggest, most genuine smile stretched across his lips.

And one thing was for sure-- that night was filled with sparks, and not just from the fireworks. 

************************************
Hey guys!

How did y'all feel about the fourth of July party?  Were you *giggles* lit up? 

I wonder if I could get a Nate Jackson made for me. It's at the top of my Christmas list. (; 

Teaser:  A little while after their six anniversary, Brooke receives a video she wishes she could unsee. This video leads to a fight. Be prepared, my loves... 

Make sure to comment, vote, and spread the word!

Thanks for reading!

Much love, 

-Abby