Love Letter Three

Sunday, 11th January 2014

Springwood Barn, Holmes Chapel, Cheshire, England

My Darling Natasha,

Today was the day I started to feel something for you, the day you spent with me and my family and fitted in with such ease I knew you were very special. Of course, I didn't know it at the time but looking back I realise it now.

Usually when I returned home over a Sunday Mum would make it a family day. She cooked the most amazing Sunday roasts whilst Gemma and I sat over coffee reading the Sunday papers and putting the world to rights.

Gemma usually teased me and found a way to push my buttons. She is not just my sister, she is one of my best friends. I talk to my Mum about most things but there are just some things a son can't talk to his mum about. That's where Gemma always was and still is, someone I know I can rely on. She has supported me from the very start. She tells me how it is, not what I want to hear and I love her very much for her honest nature, even if she does infuriate me at times!

Mum always overcooked and after eating so much we'd head out for an afternoon walk to "clear our lungs and tums" as Robin put it. We'd return when it was almost dark and lounge around the living room talking and playing games whilst Robin fell asleep in his chair, much to Mum's amusement as she'd done all the running around!

It was in these days when I led such a hectic lifestyle that I appreciated the most. My family, the people I trusted more than anything in the world and who I could be relaxed with, not having to watch what I said or how I said it. They kept my feet on the ground and balanced me and I loved them much for it.

This particular Sunday we were all congregated in the kitchen having coffee. Gemma had the Sunday Times magazine open in front of her and was teasing me about a photograph of me at a recent awards ceremony in London.

The suit, a Lanvin, was black with red stripes and she thought it was hideous, suggesting I looked like a children's entertainer! I retorted that it was a very expensive suit to which she replied that money doesn't buy class. We were teasing each other backwards and forwards when I looked up to see you standing in the doorway.

Initially I panicked inside and then I could not believe my luck. I spent quite a bit of time when I was with my Dad at the football the previous day thinking about how I could see you again. I missed one of the goals because my mind was elsewhere with you. Well, well, perhaps fate does exist after all.

There we were again but reversed this time. You were standing in the doorway to the kitchen with me sitting at the island, just looking at each other. You looked effortlessly stunning, your hair framed that flawless complexion and fell across you shoulders in waves. My breath was taken away by you again.

I think Gemma broke the silence by teasing me about offering you a seat. As I jumped up you raised your hand in protest and tried to get out of sitting down. You said you'd only stopped by to collect your phone you left at the house the previous day.

Now I had you here there was no way I was letting you go that easily and without giving it a second thought I invited you stay for lunch. The words fell out my mouth before I even had chance to think about what I was saying.

Mum looked a bit surprised so I had to backtrack then and say it was the least we could do as you were helping out so much with the charity. I heard Gemma snigger and Mum shot her a disapproving look, adding the thought was lovely and of course you were more than welcome to join us.