Chapter 06

Playing the Good Sister

If math hadn't been Charlie's first class, there's no doubt in her mind that she would have been passed out on her desk right now. What? Sleep is important! She's a growing girl! It's vital for her development. Just ask her doctor! Ever since she was young, Charlie had always harbored an immense interest in the subject. It was the only class (besides P.E.) she could get an A in as well because unlike everything else in the world, there is only one precise answer to every problem. You either know how to solve it or you don't. It's clear-cut and straight to the point, just the way she likes things.

A few years ago when Charlie had received an award for her outstanding math skills from her teacher, her father told her that she must have gotten the talent from her mother, who had also been an extraordinaire when it came to numbers. Although she knew it was selfish of her, Charlie was happy to know that she seemed to be the only one who inherited such a trait since none of her brothers seemed to have a knack for math like she did. It meant that no matter where she was or where she went, Charlie would always have a special piece of Rebecca Whitmen with her that no one else shared. It made her feel closer to her even though she was no longer around which was why she took the class seriously.

As Mr Gherardi starts assigning textbooks to the students, the door is flung open, capturing everyone's attention. "Sorry I'm late. My alarm didn't go off this morning," the boy apologizes insincerely as a yawn slips past his lips. Charlie doesn't pay him much attention and returns her focus to the book in front of her. She couldn't wait to learn about calculus, as shocking as that may be to her classmates.

"And who might you be?" their teacher asks, pulling out the roster.

"Ethan," he reports suavely, eyes scanning the room. Charlie could hear the girls in her class sighing dreamily and groans quietly to herself. So much for peaceful mornings. First lunch, now her favorite class? "Ethan Morindozo."

"Ah, so you're the new transfer student." Mr Gherardi nods. "Welcome to Highland High then, Mr Morindozo. Although you probably haven't adjusted to how things work around here, I'm disheartened to inform you that you have already landed yourself in detention on the second day of school. I think that's a new record. I'm sorry, young man, but rules are rules. Now please take a seat and next time, I suggest you offer up a better excuse than that." The class laughs and Charlie snickers too. So the old man does have the ability to amuse his students. Kudos to him.

As long as the transfer student doesn't cause a scene, Charlie doesn't plan on ripping his head off. "Is this seat taken?"

"It is now," Mariana simpers. She's clearly flattered that the new eye-candy decided to occupy the desk next to hers. Then again, why wouldn't he? It's the only available seat left in the class. Too bad she isn't aware of that small detail due to her over inflated ego getting in the way. Playing it cool, Ethan drops his bag on the floor and slides into the chair. "Should I get detention so I could keep you company?" She props her elbow on the desk and rests her chin in her palm.