Chapter 45

Playing Hero

Playing Hero... But Not Really

"You didn't have to come, you know." Charlie kills the ignition, simultaneously removing the keys, before she turns to look at the boy in the passenger's seat. Cameron and Alexander waste no time and exit the vehicle first, abandoning them in the truck. The older of the two Whitmen boys definitely doesn't need to be the awkward third-wheel again. Sure, Alexander might have pushed his sister to pursue the guy she fancies, but that doesn't mean he doesn't get the heebie-jeebies from witnessing the pair stare at each other like lovesick puppies.

Already, Ethan is unfastening his seatbelt as he smiles warmly at her. "I wanted to," he answers. The upward curve on his face causes Charlie's insides to knot up almost instantly. Honestly, she's glad he had been persistent in accompanying them to the hospital though. Because, let's face it, she would have never told him that she wanted him to come along.

All of this – Ethan, the mere thought of dating, her feelings, the imaginary butterflies which seem to have made her stomach their permanent home. These things are all still fairly new to Charlie, considering she has never taken a liking to anyone or had been romantically enticed within the past seventeen years of her life. Therefore, she's got to take some time to adjust. She's got to learn about the dos and don'ts of being in a relationship.

Three months ago, the girl wouldn't have bothered fretting over this kind of stuff. She would have simply gone with the flow, as some people put it. But, after witnessing how complicated relationships could be and what it could do to people, specifically Hayden and Cecilia, Charlie can't help but wonder if things will work out well between her and Ethan or if they'll crash and burn. Oh, and let's not forget all of that overdramatic shit that happens in some of Jillian's favorite movies.

Deep down, a small part of her is afraid that if the two of them don't mesh well together as a couple, she'll lose him as both a lover and a friend. At least, that's how things typically went in the movies. Maybe referencing something created only for pure enjoyment and entertainment as a guide isn't the smartest idea but Charlie will take what she can get. Then, Ethan's palm falls over the back of her hand, his thumb grazing over her knuckles, effectively snapping the girl out of her train of thoughts. 

"Everything will be okay," he assures, giving her hand a gently squeeze. And those four words are more than enough to make the doubts clouding her mind disappear, as if they were never even there to begin with. "Let's get going."

After checking in with the nurse at the front desk, the four of them head up towards the room Chase had been placed in. Alexander knocks once before he pushes the door open, not bothering to wait for an answer in case the patient is incapable of giving one. Who knows what kind of condition he's in. For all they know, he could be in a coma! Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration but anything's possible. Plus, Officer Mueller hadn't been specific or thorough with the details of what kind of accident he had been involved in, nor is the man anywhere to be found at the moment. He must be a rookie.