Chapter 17

Playing with Assumptions

"Work with a partner if you need to. I expect you all to finish this ditto by the end of the period and turn it into me for a grade. You have approximately twenty minutes left, which should be plenty of time," Mr Gherardi mandates as he distributes the worksheets to the entire class. There are a couple of disgruntled groans that erupt from the students, but he simply ignores them. Once he is done passing out the classwork, he returns to his seat and goes about correcting the quizzes he had given a couple of days ago.

Blankly, Charlie looks down at her desk where the white sheet of paper lays. She has been in a foul mood ever since her brother's outburst back in the truck. The apprehensive stares and scrutinizing gazes people have been casting her way as soon as she had stepped foot onto school property also factors into the cause. The girl isn't sure she will survive the rest of the day in such an insufferable and suffocating environment; and if she does manage to make it out alive, the chances of somebody else not being able to do the same is extremely high.

Jillian hasn't said a word to her, only because she hasn't arrived to school yet. She's most likely in the middle of getting her teeth cleaned right now. Charlie is on the border of turning senile. Her patience is wearing thin. She has to vent to someone this instant, but that someone has to be her best friend. Nibbling on the inside of her cheek, she sends a message to Jillian, which advises her not to listen to anything anyone tells her.

Relief floods her system when she gets an immediate reply. Jillian is obviously confused, but once Charlie mentions Hayden she doesn't ask any other questions and responds with: I'll see you later.

"I would put that away if I was you. Don't want to get your phone confiscated, do you?" Ethan mutters, causing her to lift her head up. He nods to the front, where their teacher's eyes are scanning the room, and she traces his line of sight. Again, she listens to him, and stows the device into her pocket. After, her face is contorted in perturbation; it is filled with confusion as she wonders how her neighbor managed to snag the seat next to her.

In the beginning of class he was sitting at his usual spot with Mariana practically slobbering all over him. Nothing she hasn't gotten familiar with. So how is it that he's now perched beside her? He must have moved while she was lost in deep thought.

"What do you want?" Charlie mumbles. She doesn't bothering throwing a glare at him or altering her tone into a more hostile one, like she would have done if it had been anybody else speaking to her. In all honesty, she doesn't feel like picking a fight with him. She's got plenty of problems already on her plate. There's no room for more.

Ethan cocks his head to the side. He examines the girl's tamed and (slightly) demure demeanor, a sight that is foreign to him. He has been graced with Charlie's presence for a few weeks now, and this is the first time he is seeing her like this. He would be lying if he says that this isn't weird, because it is. It's like he's in an alternate universe or parallel dimension.