Chapter 30

Playing Fairy Godfather

With their hands meshed together, Hayden and Cecilia manage to sneak out through one of the side doors and wind up in the parking lot, unseen. They can't risk staying inside, where they're vulnerable to exposure. Running off together at such a crowded event like this is already dangerous as is! What was he even thinking? Oh right, he wasn't.

First, Hayden scopes their surroundings to ensure that they're the only ones around and when he's unable to detect other humanly lifeforms, he throws his arms around his girlfriend, trapping her within his embrace. His warmth swallows Cecilia in one go and without reluctance, she reciprocates his action. As she nuzzles into the crook of his neck, her hot breath sends shivers marching down his spine. Against his will, Hayden breaks away in order to catch a clear view of the girl.

She is wearing a baby pink dress, with a sweetheart neckline and lacey sleeves that reach her elbows. Her hair is down, tumbling over her shoulders in soft curls, which looks rather natural and effortless. Hayden's never seen her so dolled-up before, but she's mesmerizing as she always is. Whether she's donned a dress or rocking a pair of jeans, Cecilia Isles will forever be the most flawlessly perfect girl in his eyes. Nobody could ever compare to her.

"I thought you weren't coming? What happened to studying?" he inquiries once his senses return; he's curious to hear her answer.

"A girl from my poly-sci class caught the flu two days ago and gave me her ticket. I didn't tell you because, well, I wanted it to be a surprise," she says softly before her gaze falls to her hands. "But you don't sound happy to see me."

Her outrageous claim causes his eyes to widen in horror. "What? Of course I am. I was just startled that's all." Next, he tilts her chin up and pecks her lips gently. "You look gorgeous; like you do every day."

A thick layer of blush settles over her pale skin, causing Cecilia's complexion to resemble a ripened tomato as she nibbles on the insides of her cheeks. "And you look rather handsome yourself," she returns with a small smile. "Is Charlie okay with you being out here with me? Wouldn't it be suspicious if she's all alone?"

Hayden chuckles softly and takes both of her hands into his own. "She's the one who pushed me to come. I'm sure she'll be fine. I'm surprised your parents allowed you to attend such a—what did they call it before? Ah, such an irrelevant event."

"They thought I could use a break since I've been working diligently," Cecilia laughs. "Plus, it was a free ticket. How could they refuse?"

"That's true." Nods Hayden before he lowers his voice. "I'm sorry I haven't been able to talk to you recently. I just had to get some things sorted out. I hope you aren't upset with me."

Cecilia's lips pull up into a curve as she lifts his hands up and presses her lips against them. "Of course I'm not upset with you. How could I be? I know how stressful the SATs can be."