Chapter 28

Playing the Right Way

Charlie, Alexander and Cameron gallop into the house, the door slamming shut behind them. The youngest of the three bounces up and down on the balls of his feet, enthusiastically rambling on about the class field trip he's going on this Friday. Ever since he got into the truck, he has been babbling nonstop about it. Thrilled to share the news with his father, Cameron bolts to the kitchen with his sister trailing behind him.

"Dad, guess what?" Cameron muses.

Amicable laughter resonates through the place and Charlie instantly freezes at the sight of Hayden acting all chummy-like with her old man. Their chuckles die down as the two of them glance over to the newcomers. The smile on Charles' face lengthens while the one plastered on Hayden's fades. He can feel a wave of chills coming from the girl and he tries his best to keep his eyes steady, cautious not to break their gaze.

"It took you guys long enough to get home," says their father in a light and playful manner. "Charlie, don't you know it's rude to keep a guest waiting?"

Her eyes narrow in on Hayden and her fist is just itching to punch him. "He's not my guest," she mutters pointedly. The audacity he has renders her speechless yet again. Clearly, he doesn't like listening to her. So why does she have to listen to him? It's not fair. She has shown him enough mercy these last few weeks. This is the last straw.

"We need to talk." She walks over and coils her fingers around his wrist, her short fingernails permeating his skin. "Let's go upstairs." It's not a request. It's an order.

"Why can't you two talk down here?" Mr Whitmen queries.

Charlie begins to drag her boyfriend towards the staircase. "It's... private," she states.

The man doesn't press them any further and nods. "Fine, but leave the door open."

Charlie is well aware of what is going on in his mind. She's heard him tell her brothers the same thing on numerous occasions. She could still recall her father's awkward speech from her freshman year, which had dealt with the classical tale of the birds and the bees.

Could you even imagine how shocked he must have been when his fourteen year old daughter told him she already had prior knowledge of Adam's snake slithering into Eve's garden?

"Dad, we are not going to have sex!" she exclaims bluntly, causing Hayden's cheek to grow scorching hot. He forgot how straightforward she could be.

"I'm sure that's what you want me to think," hums Charles.

"Dad," she groans. She is not in the mood to crack jokes.

"I know, I know. I'm only pullin' your leg," he chortles as he places his hands in the air. The smile quickly disappears though and his expression becomes stoic. "But seriously. Keep your door open."