Chapter 25

Playing the Incredible Hulk

The doorbell chimes melodically and Ethan scurries over to the entryway. It could only be one person. The heavy thuds, created by his haste footsteps, cause Maxwell to bark incessantly as he chases after his owner. The boy skids to halt in front of the mirror mounted above a small, mahogany accent table in the hallway. A woven, crystal bowl filled to the brim with butterscotch candy is perched on top.

Once he deems himself presentable, he takes in a cavernous breath and extends his hand out towards the knob. He opens the door and finds Charlie standing on the front porch. All he can see is her backside, but that view is enough to have his heart stuttering. "Hey. Did you grab the food?"

His voice captures her attention and she spins around. Charlie dangles the plastic bag in the air, shaking it in front of his face. "What does it look like?" She sticks her free palm out, demanding for her reimbursement, and Ethan glances down at it.

"What do you want? A high-five?" He slaps her hand and steps to the side. "What are you waiting for? Come on in," he instructs.

Charlie glares at him, in a light and harmless manner, as she enters the house. She removes her shoes, neatly placing them to the side. Maxwell attacks her, like he always does whenever she visits, and Charlie lets out a string of laughs as she attempts to keep her face from being slathered with dog drool. Ethan takes the food from her and orders the retriever to settle down. Because Maxwell is well-trained, he listens.

"Charlie, how are you?" Layna beams enthusiastically.

"I've been well. How about you?" She returns politely.

"Well, I'm still alive, aren't I?" The elder chortles as she slips into the comfortable clogs her grandson had surprised her with last Christmas. Her sense of humor has always managed to amuse Charlie and the girl can't help but guffaw along. In more ways than one, Layna sort of reminds her of Rebecca. It's not necessarily a bad thing either.

"You two kids have fun. The gals and I are going to grab dinner and then head to the bar. It's senior and karaoke night. Don't wait up for me, Ethan." There's a honk from outside and Layna makes her way over to the door. "Have a good night because I know I will!"

"I can't believe this," Charlie says with a stupefied countenance as she watches the woman hop into the black SUV outside.

"What?" Ethan queries, setting the food on the coffee table.

"Layna and her friends have better social lives than we do; and they're triple our age." She remarks, dumbfounded.

"Speak for yourself. I don't know about you, but I have a pretty healthy social life." He disagrees arrogantly, straightening his posture.

"I'm sure you do." She nods, her skepticism adamant. "So why'd you ask me to come over and binge-watch Marvel movies on a Saturday night? Shouldn't you be at Vienna's party, getting shitfaced and what not? Nice try, but I'm not buying the load of bull you're trying to sell." Charlie snorts as she plops down into the floral printed couch.