Chapter 49

Author's Thoughts: Oh my gosh, thanks for getting this story ranked 175 in Teen Fiction <3 The end is so near. Are you ready for it? This story will conclude at Chapter 50 with, perhaps, an epilogue. You have been warned.

Playing Boyfriend, Girlfriend & Friend

While Alexander and Cameron speed out through the front door, shouting hasty goodbyes to their father, Charlie is hot on their tails. Just as she snatches the brown paper bag up, Mr Whitmen tells her they need to have a talk, which causes the girl to skid to halt at the counter. "What's up?" She unzips her backpack and shoves her breakfast inside. While waiting for him to carry on, she plucks an apple from the basket and sinks her teeth into the crisp and tart flesh of the fruit.

Mr Whitmen wouldn't normally interfere with the love-lives of his children, but this is his little girl we're talking about here. He has to be, at least, somewhat in the loop with her affairs. It's his job as her father. "What's this I hear about you and Ethan going out on a date?" Charles questions as he folds his arms against his broad chest and cocks his head to the side.

If he hadn't run into Layna at the market yesterday, he would have never known. He meant to ask his daughter about the matter during dinner last night but Charlie had been over at Jillian's house, working on a project they have that's due today.

Charlie raises an eyebrow at him, taking another bite. "It's exactly what it sounds like," she answers nonchalantly while she continues to chew like a cow chomping on cud.

"What happened with Hayden?" Mr Whitmen frowns. From what he saw, the two of them looked like they were doing swell. Granted, of course, he rarely ever found them spending time together. Actually, thinking about it now, maybe he hadn't been paying close enough attention to them.

"We broke up," Charlie informs, checking the time on her phone.

His jaw drops. "Why?"

Since she doesn't feel like lying to him anymore, she decides to come clean. She doesn't have to hide this from him considering the deal between her and Hayden has finally come to an end. "If I tell you, you have to promise me you won't be mad," she bargains.

Mr Whitmen's face hardens, his teeth gritted as he narrows his eyes at her. Why doesn't he like the sound of this? It couldn't be... "Charlie, what happened?"

"We were never actually dating," she spits out, bracing herself for the storm that's about to hit.

The man's eyebrows knit together as he sends her a quizzical look. He has no idea what she's saying. It must be a fad this generation has come up with. "What does that even mean? Is this, like, one of those popular trends you kids are following these days? Is that it?"

"What? No, that doesn't even make sense," Charlie sighs, shaking her head. "Dad, what I'm trying to tell you is that we were never boyfriend and girlfriend in the first place. I only said we were because, well, he needed my help."