Chapter 16

Playing at Death's Doorsteps

Charlie chokes on the piece of fruit in her mouth and manages to swallow it down with the help of her saliva. "What?" Her mind belatedly registers her father's words and she can't even begin to explain the rage that is stirring inside of her. For Hayden's sake, she is hoping she has heard wrong.

"She told me you two were dating. When were you going to tell me? Were you afraid I wouldn't approve? Because I do. Hayden is a good kid," the man says as he places a hand on her shoulder to show her his support.

Charlie groans and slides a palm over her face. "Dad, we are not dating," she points out, shrugging him off.

He doesn't believe her though. "You don't have to keep denying it, Charlie. I knew this day was bound to come sooner or later. I can't protect you forever, even if you're my little girl." He's beginning to sound sentimental and she can't stand it. It's already shitty enough that Charlie has to deal with this crap at school and now at her own house too? Somebody's got to pay.

"Jesus Christ, dad! I'm really not dating him! I can't believe this!" The ticking time-bomb planted inside of her is ready to explode. Fuming, she abandons the house and slams the door behind her shut. With long and fast strides, the incensed girl storms down the street towards the pale gray structure located at the end of the road.

Relentlessly, her fist beats against the only thing keeping Hayden alive and away from becoming death's companion. A moment later the door swings open. Hayden's eyes widen and he quickly steps outside. The piqued expression on her face tells him he's about to be hit by a hurricane. He swallows. "Charlie, I can explain."

The girl refuses to listen to another word as she erupts like Mount Vesuvius did in 79 AD. "Are you fucking serious, Knight? I told you I wanted no part in this and what do you go and do? You go and tell your fucking mom we're in a relationship? What kind of horse-shit is that? Did you not hear anything I said to you at school?" she screams indignantly, spit flying everywhere. She's burning hot due to the anger that has consumed her entire body and she doesn't give a damn.

"I know you said no, but I had to do this. I don't have a choice, Charlie," Hayden begins, his tone oozing with desperation. "You think I wanted to do this? Of course not. I want to tell everyone Cecilia is my girlfriend, but I can't. You should have seen how pale she was when she saw those photos of us. If her parents even think that she's sneaking around, they'll keep her on lockdown 24/7. She's already on a short-leash as is. I'm sorry, Charlie. I had to make a choice. It was either you or Cecilia. And I... I can't afford to lose her."

So in order to salvage his relationship, Hayden has decided to use her as the sacrificial lamb? He has chosen to throw her under the bus, even after she specifically told him she didn't want to be part of this soap opera? Can this get any more twisted?

"What does that make me?" she snarls, her breathing labored. "I thought you were trying to be my friend again? Is this what friends do to each other? Because if it is, I'm glad I never considered you my friend."