Chapter 26

Playing Life Counselor

Throughout the entire weekend, Charlie has been distancing herself from a particular boy with hazel irises. Hayden has tried to reach her several times, via text and phone call, but the girl hasn't bothered to respond to him. There's no need for her to. He's the one that closed up tighter than a clam when she asked him if he wanted to talk about whatever it was that had his panties in twist!

She's not going to waste anymore of her precious time on someone who doesn't appreciate the effort.

It's that horrid day of the week most students dread again. That's right, it's Miserable Monday. Funny how the weekdays seem to drag on for eternity, but the weekend seems to end in the blink of an eye. This year's homecoming is exactly four days away and because Charlie's been giving Hayden the cold shoulder, they haven't been able to properly review the details.

Like what time Hayden would be picking her up, the color of her dress, and all of that other jazz she could honestly give a damn about.

In calculus, Charlie and Ethan are sitting next to each other like they have been for the last couple of days. Mariana doesn't utter a single word to him and goes straight to her seat. The two of them are genuinely stunned with her lack of interest in Ethan. However, they don't think too much about the matter. Their focuses are geared towards each other.

Luckily for them, today's lesson consists of reviewing for an exam they have this Friday. The test might make up twenty percent of their grades for the first quarter, but neither one of them feels anxious about it. The same cannot be said about the rest of their classmates though. Leave it to Mr Gherardi to torture his students before the big dance.

At least they could get hammered and have the time of their lives without having to worry about anything else, except for, well, making it home alive to see another day, of course. 

Ethan steals a glimpse of Charlie with the assistance of his peripheral vision. When he sees Mr Gherardi turning his back to the class, he quickly crumples up a piece of paper and tosses it onto her desk. Yeah, they're passing notes. Ethan has always been an old fashioned guy, sort of.

He hasn't passed handwritten notes since middle school, but he finds the thrill of it is much more enthralling than texting, especially because they're in high school now.

Being a total math lover, Charlie would usually never condone such behavior to take place during her favorite subject.

But...

Ethan is an exception.

Without even recognizing that she is being pulled away from the equations and functions she finds salvation in, Charlie unfolds the note and reads the message inside.

She scribbles down her reply, crumples the paper again and returns it to the boy. They have been doing this the entire period, and thanks to their stealth and discretion, they have not been caught. The other students are too nervous about the exam to pay attention to them as well.