Chapter 18

Playing Friends

Playing Friends

It takes Charlie a mere ten minutes to explain the whole uneventful situation she's unfortunately stuck in to her best friend. She's never been too fond of long and dragged out speeches. A brief, concise, and straight-to-the-chase response is the route she has always preferred. It saves time and prevents the environment from being further exposed to more carbon dioxide.

Throughout the rather short (but very intriguing) narration, which sounds eerily similar to one of those teenage chick flicks you can find airing on television in February, Jillian has been gaping nonstop. She resembles a fish out of water and hasn't been able to properly utter a single word yet.

"So let me get this straight," she breathes, finally managing to gather her thoughts together. "Hayden is secretly dating the Cecilia Isles. The one you saved at Matt's party? The girl who's a shooing for valedictorian and the object of nearly every senior guy's affection? Do you know how unattainable she is? How did this even happen? Now it makes sense. I was wondering why you asked me to text Hayden out of all people that night."

"Yeah, I figured she'd feel safest with him. I don't really know the details about the two of them, other than the basics." Shrugs Charlie. "All I can tell you is that they've been seeing each other since May. And, like I said earlier, she's not allowed to focus on anything other than her studies, which is why they have to keep their relationship hidden and what not."

"This is sooooo bizarre. I'm sorry, Charlie. Anyone in my place would have a really hard time wrapping their head around this too. Just give me a few more hours to let it all sink into my brain. It just seems like something right out of a movie, you know? Because you were the only person who knew about their forbidden love and, coincidentally enough, are involved in the rumors going around about the two of you being an actual thing, they asked you to be their cover? It's sheer brilliance if you asked me. I expect nothing less from the senior class's 4.0 GPA student." Jillian nods in approval and her friend exhales.

"It was quick thinking on their part, I'll give them that," Charlie sighs. Personally, she would have never devised such a plan; it's far too complicated for her taste. It probably would have been a smarter choice if she had decided to spend a day thinking Hayden's proposal (pun intended) through instead of agreeing on the spot because of the guilt. It's not like it's her fault that Mr and Mrs Isles fancy the authoritarian parenting-style over the rest.

"Oh my god!" Jillian shrieks, tearing her away from her train of thoughts. Charlie stares at her, an eyebrow quirked in the air. She's waiting for the girl to continue. "What if Hayden starts liking you? Or what if you start liking him? What will you do then?" She begins to bounce up and down, causing the springs under the mattress to squeak.

"What kind of pot are you smoking? There's no chance in hell that either one of those things are going to happen," Charlie dismisses with determination. "First off, he's absolutely smitten with Cecilia and secondly, he's not my type. I don't feel attracted to him whatsoever."