Chapter 20

Playing Tour Guide

Playing Tour Guide

Charlie has driven by a few places already just to show Ethan where he can go if he ever gets bored and wants to do something other than picking up girls. So far, the venues have included a bowling and billiards place many students like to go to (especially on the weekends), the local shopping mall (which has three levels and is equipped with over sixty stores you can drain your wallet, a food court and a spiffy cinemas area), a popular paintball arena and, finally, the drive-in movie theatre that is extremely popular during all of the seasons except for winter.

They don't bother getting out of the truck since this is supposed to be an overview of the entire city. Therefore, they do not have the luxury of wasting time. Living in a large, urbanized town like South Burlington definitely has its perks. The locals always have something they can do; the activities are endless. If they don't feel like being surrounded by the masses, they can always take a stroll by the waterfront or through the woods as well (given that the weather is still nice, of course).

Charlie and her family have been here for as long as she can remember. Their house is in the more suburban area, which can be found on the outskirts of South Burlington. The heart of the city is usually swarmed with tourists and visitors because the famous Ben and Jerry's headquarters is settled there.

The girl tries to avoid going to the inner-city. She hates having to deal with the jam-packed traffic and thoughtless pedestrians who, for some odd reason, don't know how to use a damn crosswalk.

"If you couldn't tell, I don't get out much nowadays." Charlie eases her foot onto the brake pedal due to the red light in front of them. "I don't like driving too far. It's too much work for me. Thankfully, rush hour's over. I'd kill myself if we had to sit through traffic that moves at the pace of a slug."

"It's cool, I don't really mind. There's definitely more things to do around here than back in my old town," Ethan replies, his eyes busy absorbing the sights around them. He might act like a big hotshot but, the reality is, he's not. All of this is rather new and foreign to him. His old town isn't even half as big as South Burlington is!

The light changes to green and she resumes driving. "Oh yeah, I forgot that you were a transfer. Where'd you move from anyways?"

"Stowe, it's in Lamoille County," he informs.

Charlie registers the name because her uncle had visited the dainty town once. Coincidentally enough, his now ex-girlfriend had been from there. "That's the city in the middle of the nowhere, isn't it?"

Her blunt and disparaging statement makes him laugh. "Not in the middle of nowhere. It's in the middle of the mountains."

"Same difference," she snorts as she waves her hand. "I heard it's tiny over yonder. Rob said that if you drove through and blinked, you missed the town completely."

"Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration." The boy shakes his head in amusement. "But compared to South Burlington, Stowe is like a dot." Ethan starts to wonder who this Rob person is, but chooses not to ask her about him. It might be a tad bit intrusive.