Chapter 46

Playing Out of Her Comfort Zone

The reactions to the news about Charles and Naomi dating did not vary. In fact, they were rather unanimous and conformed, much to the couple's surprise. After they had confirmed their relationship inside the hospital room, since they didn't have much of a choice, the children had been extremely relaxed and accepting. They didn't have any reason to be upset or go against the pair. Truthfully, they're just relieved to hear that their old man has finally found his way back onto the dating scene and hasn't lost his game. It's about damn time if you asked them! Plus, it also helps that they've known Naomi for approximately three years and counting.

For some teenagers, seeing their father or mother with someone else, who could be considered an outsider, an intruder, a threat, might be difficult. But what you have to remember is not everyone's the same. People have their own way of handling and coping with certain matters and for the Whitmen children, all they want is for their father to be happy. Thirteen years is a long time and it's time for him to move on with his life, find someone he can start fresh with. It's not like he's stopped loving their mother because, trust me, he hasn't. He's just making room for another woman in his life and that's what Rebecca would have wanted as well.

Before she passed away, Rebecca had told her husband that he should never, under any circumstance, cease loving. That he should never close his heart off to the rest of the world, and although it hasn't been east to look at another woman, who is not the mother of his children, Charles has finally made peace with his past and realized that it's okay for him to move on.

He's not sure when it happened or how it happened, but his feelings for Naomi are real and adamant, something he cannot ignore or turn a blind-eye to. Working with her these last three years must have brought them closer together and, frankly, Charles is a bit surprised he hadn't noticed what an incredible woman he had right under his nose sooner.

The two of them have been dating for a couple of months now, in secret of course, but over the past couple of weeks, things have been becoming more serious between them. Like, we're talking about marriage and wedding bells going off within the next year serious. And now that they've come out into the open about their feelings towards one another and have gotten approval from the kids, they see no reason to hold back anymore.

Naomi is six years younger than Charles, making her forty-two. So far, she has been involved in one marriage already which, if you couldn't tell, did not pan out too well for her or her ex-husband. They were married for less than two years before they filed for a divorce. It turned out her ex-husband was not an American-borne citizen and the only reason he chose to tie the knot with her was because his visa was going to expire soon! Can you believe the audacity of some people, who are clearly lacking in morals department? Of course Naomi felt utterly betrayed since he basically used her like she wasn't a human being but, still, she loved him dearly.

She would have forgiven him and suggested that they turn a new leaf because he meant the world to her. Too bad the guy also had a tough time keeping his fly zipped up around other men and women and once his infidelity was revealed, Naomi had reached her breaking point. Enough was enough. Now, the prick's back in Canada, where he belongs, most likely screwing up someone else's life. Thank the heavens! Naomi has no children of her own either, unless you consider a three year-old German Shepard, by the name of Venus, a child.