Chapter 40

Author's Thoughts: I expect lots of wonderful comments. You'll see why ;) I hope you enjoy! I'd like to dedicate this chapter to Kailamo and terrababii

Also, for anyone who wants to know the timeline for the last fifteen chapters: C26 – October 19th | C27 – October 21st | C28 – October 22nd | C29 & C30 – October 23rd | C31 & C32 – October 24th | C33 & C34 – October 26th | C35 October 27th | C36, C37 & C38 – October 28th | C39 – October 30th | C40 – October 31st/November 3rd

Thank you for reading and voting and commenting and being awesome! And without further ado, I present chapter forty.

Playing Trick-or-Treat

Artificial cobwebs and spiders are strewn all over the place. Skeletal remains (fake ones, of course) can be found positioned in chairs or hung up on doors while white sheets, made to imitate the more friendly and mediocre ghosts, dance in the wind. Styrofoam gravestones with R.I.P printed out in a gory, blood-red font are wedged securely into the wilting grass. Perched on the steps and porches of nearly every household in the area are orange and white pumpkins carved with an array of expressions and things. All which are illuminated by a warm candle sitting on the inside.

The sun has completely vanished, no longer in view, allowing the moon and stars to claim the sky. That's right, folks, it's that time of year again. It's Halloween. Tonight, people, children and adults alike, will get to dress up as whoever or whatever they want to be and indulge themselves with free candy and scaring the heebie-jeebies out of some poor unfortunate souls.

This holiday is also one of the only times where it's universally acceptable to open your door for a complete stranger and, for others, accept candy from someone you don't know without having to worry about much.

The forecast said it will be a cloudless night, the temperature dipping into the low forties with winds that could go up to thirty miles per hour. The weatherman, Timothy DeAngelis, prompted trick-or-treaters to bundle up in order to stay warm and many have taken his advice with the exception of a few people who are almost immune to the brisk weather or those who intentionally refuse because doing so will only ruin their costumes.

On Evergreen Street, dozens of children are wandering around, moving from one house to another and garnering as much candy as they can before they have to return home.

Again, the doorbell chimes throughout the house for what feels like the hundredth time and Ethan walks over to answer it. Swinging the door open, his expression immediately brightens at the sight of two familiar faces. "Trick-or-treat," Cameron sings as he holds out his pillow case.

"Looking good, Cam," Ethan compliments, dropping a generous handful of candy into the bag. "Here, you go. Who are you supposed to be?"

Cameron frowns, nose wrinkling. "I'm Abraham Lincoln. Isn't it obvious?" he replies as he points to his top-hat and fake beard.