Chapter 10

Playing Tweedledee & Tweedledum

The sun is beginning to set. The process is gradual and the departure of the blazing sphere of fire brings a peachy orange glow mingled with a soft coral rose to the sky. Nightfall arrives and the darkness swallows up everything in its path. It's Friday and instead of lazing around on her couch like she normally does, Charlie is stuck at the cage.

The employee who was supposed to be working had called out sick earlier and because no one was available to take his shift on such short notice, Paul had asked his baby cousin to come in as a favor. Since she didn't have anything else planned for the night, she decided to be a good sport and help out.

There is a decent amount of people inside. They are all regulars, which means that they know what they're doing and don't need much assistance. Charlie is at her station behind the front desk, looking through her phone for something—anything—that would help pass the time more quickly. The device vibrates in her palm and a notification appears on the screen. It's another message from Jillian.

Matt Lombardi, one of Ian's many friends, is throwing a back to school bash tonight at his place and Jillian has been trying to convince her to go for the past week. As entertaining as it sounds to watch people get completely hammered while making themselves look like idiots, Charlie has no intention of attending. She never does anything at those parties anyways except for maybe drinking a beer or two and that's only if she isn't the designated driver.

Besides, if she agrees to tag along, she would probably have to catch a ride with Jillian and Ian which means she'd be the wretched third wheel.

No thanks.

It's only the second week of school and people are already finding excuses to go out and get drunk off their asses. It seems like they have their priorities misplaced. Even though Charlie drinks every now and then, at least she is aware of her limit unlike other people her age. For the umpteenth time, she rejects the invitation, using the excuse that she'd be swamped after she got off of work. Sometimes, she forgets how persistent her friend can be.

"Can I get a bat? I forgot mine at home." Charlie tears her eyes away from her phone and glances up to find Hayden standing on the other side of the desk with a crisp five dollar bill out. "I only need it for an hour," he says, not looking at her but instead at his feet.

"Sure." Charlie hops off of the stool and retrieves a titanium bat from the rental closet. She hands it to him in exchange for the money.

"Thanks," is all he says before he leaves.

After the confrontation on Ethan's lawn, Hayden hasn't spoken to her as much as he used to. Not that she really cares. He still sits near her in all of their classes, but they do not exchange any words of acknowledgment. Many people, specifically the girls who are obsessed with him, have noticed the drastic change in his behavior and have tried to cheer him up to no avail. He doesn't flash his pearly-whites as generously as he used to and when he talks, his voice is low and timid.