Chapter 09

Playing Free-for-All

For the last couple of days, Jillian has been rather aloof. Whenever Charlie texts her, she would have to wait over an hour for a reply that doesn't even say much. During school the situation is just as bad. The girl barely utters a word to her. Hell, she'd be lucky if Jillian even looks her way! The strain in their friendship is evident yet neither one of them have been willing to yield. They are both sitting back, waiting for the other person to admit fault first.

The two girls don't get upset with each other often (it's quite rare actually), but when they do get enraptured in an argument, the hatchet is usually buried within the same day. However, this time has proven to be a different case.

Charlie thinks that her friend is being unfair and although she doesn't believe she has done anything that has violated the sacred girl code, she decides that she has to be the bigger person. If she doesn't initiate a truce soon, their friendship could be endangered, at the brink of extinction! At the end of third period, instead of going straight to the cafeteria like she normally does, Charlie takes a detour and ends up at Jillian's locker.

The students streaming by don't pay her any attention with the exception of a few boys who are all standing at the opposite wall. Their eyes are trained on her as they whisper amongst themselves. Charlie doesn't notice them because she is too busy scanning the hall.

"What are you doing here?" She spins around and sees Jillian who is most certainly surprised by her presence. Lunging forward, she embraces her before she has the chance to escape. Charlie is hugging her so tight that Jillian feels like she's being constricted to death by a boa.

"I'm sorry. I know you're mad at me but you have to trust me on this one." Charlie pulls back and cups her friend's cheeks. A cat-call whistle ripples through the corridor but the girls do not hear it since it is drowned out by the thunderous chattering of the other students, rushing to get through. "I really can't tell you why Knight and I were together. It's not my place."

"It's something personal about Hayden, isn't it?" Jillian predicts with her face squished together.

"Yeah," Charlie confirms as her arms fall back down. "So what do you say?" There is no immediate answer and fear grips her.

Jillian has her lips hitched to the side before they molt into a warm smile. "Then I understand. You should have just told me that in the beginning. I'm sorry, too. I think I was hypersensitive last week because my period was coming. Menstrual cramps are a bitch."

Charlie laughs and moves out of the way to give Jillian access to her locker. "Ooh, that makes sense. So we're good?"

"We're good." She switches out the books she needs and closes the door after. With Charlie's arm coiled around her shoulders and Jillian's resting on her waist, they depart towards the cafeteria. People, who have been tuning in to the gossip involving the two, openly gape at them. A few even have the nerve to whip out their phones to take photos.