NINE: FIRST DAY

"Achoo!" This is about the hundredth time that I've sneezed in the past 1 hour. I came home and luckily Laura was awake to make me some broth. Shelly is still at the party. I hope she returns soon. I wipe my wet eyes(due to cold) with the tissue. "Thank you so much Laura. I really needed some warm soup. Achoo!" 

"My my. You're really ill Ally. Want me to call for a doctor?" Laura rubs my hands for warmth. "I guess you should sleep now. Don't go to school tomorrow. Just take rest."

"No Laura. It's first day of college tomorrow. I HAVE to go." I say, wiping my nose. "Plus, I'll be fine after a nap."

"You sure?" Laura seems concerned.

"Yes Laura. You also go and sleep. I'll sleep once I finish this soup." Laura smiles at me and goes to her room. I switch off the light after finishing my broth and doze off. I swear I have got to pay a good price for having cold drinks in the winters when the winter wind was covering me all over my bare shoulders and arms.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

"Are you ready for college Al?" Shelly calls out from outside, knocking at the door. My cold is now better and I'm all set for the school. "We should leave. We need to collect our ID from the office. And even locker keys."

"Let's go." I open the door and Shelly stumbles as she was leaning on the door. "Mad girl! Always stumbling!"

"Shush. Don't start off with your blabbering early in the morning." Shelly roles her eyes as she climbs down the stairs where two cheese sandwiches and glasses of juice are waiting to enter our stomach. "Woah! Laura. you made this for us?"

"Yes. First day of college. Thought it would be best to have a great start of the day with some yummy breakfast." Laura was waiting for us at the dining table for breakfast. "But as you told me you guys hate tomatoes, I didn't put them."

"I love you for that." I go and hug her. I pull myself away and put back my eyes on the fascinating sandwich and mango juice. "It looks perfect."

After we're done with our breakfast, it's 7:15 am and we have another 15 minutes until the college gates close. "Let's leave now." Shelly picks up her bag which was hanging on the chair she was sitting on. I do the same. We say goodbye to Laura and close the door after us.

"Woah. It's cold." Shelly exclaims, rubbing her palms on her bare arms. She is wearing a cut-sleeve baby-pink net top with denim shorts. I'm wearing something very opposite. An orange top with a white jacket, which looks pretty, and blue jeans with simple white belly shoes.

"I told you to wear a full top or to carry that blue jacket of your's. It would have matched with your dress too." I giggle a little looking her shiver like a little wet kitten.

"Am I looking weird?" Shelly's scared face indicates me that it's no time to joke.

"You look fine Shelly. Trust me." Shelly gives me a sweet toothless smile. "Achoo!"

"Bless you." I thank Shelly, realizing that we have reached the school gate. Butterflies. That's exactly what's fluttering in my stomach in excitement. "Day 1. All the best Al."

"Same to you Shell."

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

"My first lecture is art. I'll see you right here at the end of this lecture." I put all my new books in the locker and take only the articles needed for the first lecture. "What do you have now?"