TEN: MUSIC COMPETITION

"Ms. Ally Sidren. The Principal would like to see you in her cabin." Mrs. Simpson comes in my Psychology class and announces. "Please go and meet her right now." She exits, leaving a shiver down my body. It's just the second day and I'm already called by The Principal. Way to go Al!

"Ms. Sidren." Mrs. Miller, our psychology teacher says, breaking my chain of thoughts. "Please go. And do take down the notes of what I'll teach in the class from someone."

"Y-Yes mam." I get up from my seat, look out for the three friends of mine, they give me a thumbs up and walk out. I climb the stairs to the first floor and walk across the corridor towards the Principal's cabin at the end of the passage. "May I come in mam?"

"Ofcourse Ms. Sidren. Have a seat." I see Shelly seated there too, looking at me with a smile as if she has achieved something. "Please sit." Ms. Brinbale repeats. I grab a seat.

"What are YOU doing here Shelly?" I'm full with confusion and fear now. "Is it something really serious mam?" 

"Oh no no." Shelly laughs a little at my tensed expression.

"Actually Shelly has joined the coordinating group of our school and has come across an upcoming music competition." And now, I can figure out the things, I guess. "And she showed me your video. I'm really impressed with it and want you to participate and represent Strasbourg High." Just what I thought of.

"Me? Inter-school competition?" I raise my eyebrows in astonishment. "I'm sorry, but I don't think its a good idea. I'm sure there are more talented students in this college."

"We don't have time for auditions Ally." Shelly informs and gets agreement from Ms. Brinbale. "Plus, you have a talent of your own which increases our chances of winning the competition. Come on. Do it for our college's name."

"Please Ally?" Ms. Brinbale gives a pleading smile. "A 63-year-old lady is asking you to help her keep her school's integrity. Will you not help me child?"

"Do you think I can deny after what you just said?" I give a bright convincing smile to Ms. Brinbale. "I'll represent the school in the competition."

"Great. The competition is on the 16th. You have a week for practice." That means I've got some time to prepare myself.

"Sure mam." I exit the cabin along with Shelly and then turn around to face Shelly with infuriated eyes. "What did you do that for?"

"To make people realize how talented my sister is?" Shelly says, lifting her shoulders nearer to her chin. "Oh come on. Its not bad to show the world that we exist too. Its high time you realize that."

"I guess you're right." 

"Hey Shelly." A boy is seen running up to Shelly. Shelly's face brightened up on his sight. "Let's go. Everyone's waiting for us in the canteen." That guy holds Shelly's hand and pulls her in the opposite direction. I pout a little in surprise at it.

"I'll see you at the end of the day at the school gate." Shelly shouts before disappearing in the crowd of students leaving from their classroom. The receptionist comes over to me and hands over some documents. I read the topic which says 'Strasbourg Talent Search Competition.'

"These are the rules and the schedule of the program. Go through those carefully and fill the form attached at the last. Submit it tomorrow morning." She starts walking back to her desk, but turns back around, causing her perfectly curly brown hair to bounce. "And yes. You'll be coordinating with Austin McCartney for other details. He's the president of the music club of our school." Never heard of this guy. I hope he is good enough to cooperate with.

"Kay. Thanks." I give Lucy a sweet smile as I turn around to head towards the canteen for lunch.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

"You've got a great opportunity Al!" Jason explains to me. "This is the biggest inter-school competition in all of Strasbourg. Great going there girl. Can't believe it! You're gonna be damn famous in just the first week. This place has proven to be lucky for you."

"I guess you're right. And yes! I am supposed to talk to some Austin McCartney of the music club." I see the astonishment on everyone's face. "What is it?"

"Now that's a tough task." Suzanne says, sipping on her mango juice. "All the best Al." I let out a deep exasperated sigh.

"What? Tell me." Jeremy is just as confused as I am.

"Well. Austin McCartney is the same guy you had a quarrel with. He is the President of the music club." Oh my god! I don't think my luck is that good after all.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

"Are you gonna tell me who exactly was that guy who took you to the canteen when we were outside principal's cabin?" I stop at Shelly's study desk, smirking. She looks up at me from her assignment book looking all around, but not meeting my eyes. "I'm talking to you Shell."

"His name is Eric. Eric Martin. He moved in from Canada on the same day as we did. His father was transferred here as bank manager." She says, concentrating on her assignment. "We became good friends. He is a nice guy Al. You should meet him."

"Became so good friends in one day that-" I walk inside the room and sit on the bed. Shelly turns around on her rotating chair to face me. "He held your HAND and took you to the canteen!"

"Look. You are pulling my leg now. You know what it is." Shelly bends a little towards me and says. "Hear it if you want to. I like him okay?"

"I knew it! I so knew it!" I start jumping on the bed and shouting so hard, that Laura comes up to see what's wrong, on hearing my shout. "You need to introduce me to Eric tomorrow itself. Am I clear on that?"

"Guys. What's going on?" Laura is seeming really confused. "Can you explain this to me?"

"Shelly likes this guy Eric from her batch." I'm still jumping in excitement. "In just two days, this young girl of mine fell for him! Isn't that amazing?"

"Indeed. Now this calls for a good dinner. Let's go out to a restaurant today. I'm in no mood to cook." Laura says, tying her hair into a bun.

"Good idea." Shelly and I call out together. Just then, I hear the doorbell and run downstairs to open the door. Before opening the safety door, I find it better to first check who it is through the guest camera mike. "Who's this?"

"Umm. Is Laura there?" A ver familiar voice of a boy asks, in reply to my question. "I've got cupcakes for her." Before I could ask another question, Laura comes down and indicates that she'll attend whoever is there on the door. I walk upstairs to complete my assignment as it's already 6:30 pm and we are leaving at 7:00 for dinner. Laura said that a good restaurant for proper dinner is at a drive of 45 minutes from here and we should leave accordingly. I have to complete the last two questions of Psychology and luckily I had completed the Physics assignment as soon as I came from college. I even need to get ready.