TWELVE: D DAY

"The talent search competition is tomorrow guys. Buckle up. Work at this rate is a sign of laziness. Get your ass moving." Ms. Mariette, our extracurricular administrator shouts at us. Our school is not only participating in the music competition but also in the athletics, dance, art, and such competitions too, and so we have all gathered in the assembly hall for a final run-through.

"I think I'll be going for the practice now." I wave a goodbye to Suzanne and Jeremy. Jason is busy with athletics practice.

"Ally! Wait!" Maria, a girl from my batch, whom I met in the Psychology class comes running towards me. She's kinda girl who tries and grabs attention of every other boy with her 'beauty'.' "Hi."

"Hi. Anything important you wanted to talk about?" Sarcasm is well hidden in my tone. "You see, I have to go and practice."

"To be straight. You need to back out from the music competition." Her words leave my jaws dropped on the floor. Was that an order or just some kinda joke?!

"What are you saying Maria?! Are you out of your senses? Why will I do that?" How could she just say that to me when she knows I love music. Its my passion.

"Look. Not totally back out. I mean, let me be on-stage pretending to be performing, but the one actually singing the song will be you. You'll be singing, but the face will be mine. Basically, I'll be dubbing YOUR song."

"And why should I do that? Give me one good reason."

"Oh come on Ally. Its just a stupid competition. If it wouldn't have been personal, I would have definitely told you the reason. Please. Okay look. My mom told my uncle, who is a producer in the music field, that I sing real well and that I'm participating in the Talent Search. But the truth is, that I don't have a good voice for music. Will you not help me there? I know you're the one who is always there to help others. Please Ally?" I don't wanna trust her!

"Although I don't find this a really good reason to help you cheat in the competition, I think I'll help you. Because I LOVE music and I don't use that passion of mine to publicise in front of the crowd. Let's go get your name entered in the form." Maria hugs me in excitement and I pull apart as we start walking to the registration counter. After we're done with the form, we have made plans for rehearsing the whole day long so that we're perfect tomorrow. But then it strikes to me, that I'll have to inform Austin as he's coordinating tomorrow's music competition. I decide to call him up. I take down the number from the form that Lucy had given me that day.

"Hello?" Austin answers from the other side.

"Hi Austin. Ally here. Actually I called up to say that I'll not be participating in tomorrow's competition. Instead, Maria will be substituting me."

"What? You can't change the whole plan at end moment?"

"Don't worry. We've been rehearsing this whole week and Maria is good for tomorrow's performance. It'll all go as planned. Dontcha worry."

"Can I know the reason for the change?"

"You don't need to. Just cooperate with this okay?"

"Fine. Whatever. But if we lose tomorrow, you're so dead. Mark my words." And he hangs up. I can't believe it. Why am I doing this? Who will be benefited by this cheating. Only Maria's lies, I guess.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

The show was going great until a little boy came up to the sound system and unplugged the AUX cable from my phone, in which the song was playing and Maria was dubbing the song on-stage. The little one threw the phone on the floor and broke it by stamping on it. Just what does fate want from me? Now Maria is pretending that the mike has gone off and her mom is at my neck to do something. Then, she hands me a mike and says, "It doesn't matter. We'll do it live." She drags me to the back of the curtains where I resume the song and Maria dubs along. The very next moment, I hear people accusing Maria and that all were throwing plastic bottles over her. What's going on? I turn around to find for Maria's mom when I see Austin holding a camera in his hand which is focused on me, singing and that being displayed on the screen. Wow. thanks to Austin for ruining the plan even further. He pushes me on-stage and orders me to sing. And then, Maria leaves in annoyance and the audience is now calmly listening to my performance. I think Austin isn't that big an idiot afterall.

The very first competition was the music mania and the competition went all day long with 15 colleges competing one another. We have reached the finals and have completed all the performances. Now the only thing we are waiting for, is the results of the winner of Strasbourg Talent Search.

"And so ladies and gentlemen. I've got the results in my hand. Are you all excited?" Jason, Suzanne, Shelly, Jeremy, Eric and I roar along the crowd as the host opens the envelop in which the results are declared. "And the winner is......... Any guesses?" That's the old technique to make the crowd more eager. "That's right! It's STRASBOURG HIGH!"

And the next moment I'm all jumping in happiness and hugging Suzanne, Shelly, Jason and Jeremy, when Austin comes closer and pulls me on-stage with all other participants.

"You're the one who deserves an applause on your work today. Way to go Ally. You're not only a great singer but also a very nice person." Austin whispers as he dedicates his claps to ME. Now that's sweet. Really.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

"Three cheers for Starsbourg High! Hip hip! Hurray! Hip hip! Hurray! Hip hip! Hurray!" Austin gulps down the can of beer in one shot. He has the most beautiful smile ever seen on him. What are you saying Al! He's bad for you. You hate him. Don't you? Of course you do.

"you were right there. We shouldn't have gone along dragging the lie my mom said to my uncle. I'm sorry Ally. Can we be friends?" Maria says, apology clearly seen on her face.

"I would love to." I hug her and we cheer our glasses, her containing beer, and mine, soda.

"It'll be fun to have you in the group." Suzanne says. I made Maria friends with Suzanne and the others too. Its great to have another member in your gang.

"Why don't you-" Shelly is obstructed by the ring of my phone. I see Laura calling me. Of course. It's 11:30 pm. "Hello?"

"Hi Shell! How was the competition?"

"It was great! We won!"

"Cogratulations. Okay listen up. When do you think you'll be returning home?"

"Maybe we'll stay at Suzanne's house tonight. Why?"

"Umm. Your brother and sister-in-law have come to meet you."

"My brother?"

"Yes."

CAN YOU GUESS WHO COULD IT BE? IT MAY SEEM OBVIOUS BUT WHO IS IT AND WHY HAVE THEY COME TO MEET ALLY AND SHELLY, YOU'LL GET TO KNOW IN THE NEXT CHAPTER. AND YES I'VE ATTACHED EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED DURING THE MUSIC PERFORMANCE IN THE MEDIA. IF YOU LIKE IT, PLEASE COMMENT.

-NEETIKA