Thorin Oakensheild

picture of the Durin three above 

==

The dwarves lined up in the hall while Bilbo stood by Gandalf, the old wizard opening the door. Keerla smiled a little, seeing familiar blue eyes. His long black hair and beard were streaked with silver, but he wore a regal-looking black tunic and fur coat.

"Gandalf," The new arrival greeted, stepping into the hobbit-hole, "I thought you said this place would be easy to find. I lost my way, twice."

He looked to his friends, greeting his young nephews with a nod. Keerla gave him a small smile when their eyes met, but Thorin's eyes had dropped to her waist as he removed his cloak and it was only then that she realised Kili was still holding her. Not that it bothered her, but she couldn't work out why it drew Thorin's attention.

Glancing away from them, Thorin continued to speak with the wizard, "Wouldn't have found it at all had it not been for that mark on the door."

"Mark?" Bilbo stomped forward, catching everyone's attention, "There's no mark on that door. It was painted a week ago!"

Sighing, Gandalf said, "There is a mark; I put it there myself. Bilbo Baggins, allow me to introduce the leader of our company, Thorin Oakenshield."

Thorin crossed his arms and looked down upon the Halfling, "So, this is the Hobbit. Tell me, Mr. Baggins, have you done much fighting?"

"Pardon me?" Bilbo asked, confused.

"Axe or sword? What's your weapon of choice?"

"Well, I have some skill at Conkers, if you must know."

Keerla almost laughed at the proud tone of the hobbit, watching him try to size Thorin up then realising he was much too short.

His tone then lost all confidence as he said, "But I fail to see why that's relevant."

"Thought as much," Thorin turned to his friends with a mocking smirk, "He looks more like a grocer than a burglar."

The other dwarfs laughed as they followed him to the dining table. Keerla had wanted to speak with Bilbo, and apologise for Thorin and the others but Kili tightened his arm around her waist slightly to get her attention. He grinned, and jerked his head toward the table, leading her toward it and she gave in, allowing herself to be sat down between Kili and Fili.

Bofur sat a plate of soup and bread in front of Thorin as Balin asked, "What news from the meeting in Ered Luin? Did they all come?"

"Aye. Envoys from all seven kingdoms," Thorin replied, causing the others to perk up and murmur to each other in joy.

Keerla frowned slightly, having caught the disappointed look on Thorin's face; she knew something was not right. It didn't take more than a few seconds for her to realise what it was.

"They will not come," she spoke up, her voice was soft but it carried, and Kili's arm tightened around her, "None of them, not even Dain?"

Everyone glanced from Keerla to Thorin who sighed, and glanced at his kin "They say this quest is ours, and ours alone. Well, Dain would help if you considered marrying him."

"No," came the Elleth's firm reply, just as several other dwarfs burst into protest at the suggestion, Kili and Fili the loudest.

"You're going on a quest?" Bilbo asked, suddenly popping into view in the doorway and the noise stopped.

"Bilbo, my dear fellow," Gandalf pulled some folded paper form his sleeve, "Let us have a little more light."

Nodding Bilbo set up several candles and brought some to rest on the table where the wizard unfolded the paper to reveal a very old map. Keerla sighed, running a finger over her bracelet before grabbing her mug of ale and taking a drink as Gandalf spoke.