Smaug Descends

memories will be in bold italics, separated by ()()       : )

oh and suggestions of a sexual nature . . . . or you know  whatever im supposed to say as a warning

==

Three nights later, when they finally reached the safety of a rock outcrop, no one cared to set up a proper camp or make food. The dwarfs were asleep almost instantly, Bilbo lay out his bed roll and cuddled in before drifting off and Gandalf sat himself against the wall, closing his eyes.

Keerla didn't mind taking the first watch; she didn't sleep all that much anyway. Too many things seemed to happen when she fell asleep. Things that she could have stopped if she had noticed them in time, like the attack on Erebor.

()()

A set of heavy wings fighting against the wind caused her eyes to snap open, pointed ears twitching to get a better read on what she was hearing. Over the buzzing talk filling the mountain, over the work in the mines, over the festival taking place in Dale, she couldn't make out the true nature of what was approaching.

Lifting herself onto her elbows, she glanced around the rich and luxurious bed chambers, hoping it was simply a moth too close to her head. The feeling of an ice block dropping into her stomach told her it was much worse.

She slipped off the bed, using one of the fur throws to shield her naked body from the cool winds coming in through the open balcony doors. She leaned against the frame, trying to work out what it was, but with the sun glaring at her from the same direction, she could only make out a blurry shadow.

It could have been nothing, but she didn't want to take that chance, not with the fear that seemed to be crawling up her spine. Keerla turned and padded to the bed, having to climb on to reach the sleeping figure on the other side. She gave him a rough shake, and got a groan in return.

"Thorin, Thorin get up!" she hissed, "Thorin!"

"What?" he groaned, lifting himself out of the pillows, rubbing at his eyes, "What is it, Keerla?" he cupped her cheek, "Is something wrong, love?"

"Something is very wrong," she murmured, turning to look back outside, "We need to get up, now!"

Dropping the throw she moved off the bed, ignoring his hungry eyes as she tugged on and tied her breeches. She tossed his clothing over her shoulder and grabbed another of his tunics to wear, not caring for the way it fell off her shoulder. She didn't have the time to dress properly.

"What is going on?" Thorin asked, almost dressed and she grabbed his wrist. "I'm coming! I'm coming!" he grumbled, hopping after her as he tried to put on his second boot, "Keerla slow down, what's got you so worked up?"

"That's what frightens me," she admitted as they fell into a run, and she had to raise her voice to be heard over the echo of their steps, "I don't know!"

She let go of him as they reached the main halls, finding it easier to dart around the dwarfs on her own. Thorin shuddered at the noise similar to a hurricane and prayed his thoughts were wrong as he followed the Elleth, calling for the guards to join him.

They rushed up to the battlements, arriving next to Balin as they peered out, eyeing the bending trees and blustering banners. Thorin knew what was coming, and by the terrified look on Keerla's face, he knew she could finally see the beast.

"Balin! Sound the Alarm, Call out the guard," Thorin ordered, "Do it now!"

"What is it?" Balin asked.

"Dragon," Keerla murmured, staring at the creature coming closer.

Worried, Thorin turned and leaned over the rail into the halls, screaming out "Dragon!" as a warning. He then grabbed Balin and threw him behind a pillar, wrapping his arms around Keerla and pulling her with him behind another, just in time for a burst of flames to wash over the battlements.

()()

Coming from her memories with a start, Keerla glanced around and almost smiled when she saw everyone was still asleep. She huffed and stretched, shaking her head to fight any other memories surfacing and focused on keeping watch.

A month passed rather quickly, travelling for two days without pause unless for a meal or a drink for the horses. They only set up camp every second night, sometimes every three when there was no cover. Most of the ride she stayed with Fili and Kili, they were the youngest and much closer to her in personality than any of the company. 

Not to mention she loved the rush of warmth in her veins when Kili was nearby. She did spend some of her time with Bifur when he wasn't carving wood or 'talking' with Bofur, he'd always had a spot in her heart. They had been lucky to have such nice weather, but as May drew to an end, the hot blistering heat and the heavy showers of rain were drawing closer.

"We'll set camp up here for tonight," Thorin stated, as they reached a cliff face backed up to a high peak. There was only one way into the small alcove and one way out. "Nori, Dori, get a fire and dinner going, "Bofur, Bombur, feed the horses. Fili Kili, you'll take first watch."

==

sorry it's short