Frying Pan To Fire

Helping the others up, Keerla fell in behind the group, occasionally turning to fire an arrow at any goblins that got too close. After many twists and turns with legs and muscles burning from all the running, they reached a small crack in the rocks, daylight coming through it in copious amounts. She burst out of the darkness, straight into Kili who was waiting on her and wrapped her arms around his neck, enjoying the fresh air and the sight of grass and trees and sky.

She soon realised they must have been with the goblins for at least two days, as the sun was yet again starting to set. Time was different in the dark caverns, it would fly by on the outside and seem like nothing on the inside. Perhaps, she thought that was why creatures such as goblins liked it.

"I'm so glad you're okay," he murmured, peppering kisses over her jaw, "When they chained you up i was terrified, and when you swung down to help Thorin-"

"I'm fine," she cut him off, pressing her lips to his; "We need to catch the others though, come on."

Nodding, they started down the mountainside as fast as they could, Kili nearly tripping several times due to the steep slope. Gandalf stopped up ahead, counting everyone as they ran past to make sure they were accounted for. Once passed him, everyone stopped to take deep breaths and check each other for injury.

"Five, six, seven, eight . . . Bifur, Bofur . . . that's ten . . . Fili, eleven . . . Kili and Keerla . . . that's thirteen-" Keerla fell face first into the grass, not caring that she now lay at everyone's feet. She was too exhausted "-And Bombur - that makes fourteen. Where's Bilbo? Where is our Hobbit? Where is our hobbit?!"

"We were separated as the goblins caught us," Keerla said, barely raising her head. Kili and Fili sat either side of her, waiting to see what they were doing next.

"Curse the Halfling! Now he's lost?!" Dwalin complained.

"I thought he was with Dori!" Gloin tried to place blame.

"Don't blame me!" Dori caught on, scowling at him.

"As i said!" Keerla raised her voice, sitting up between the young brothers, "He slipped off as we were all caught, they didn't even notice him so he managed to get away. I'm not sure what happened to him after that though."

"I'll tell you what happened. Master Baggins saw his chance and he took it! He's thought of nothing but his soft bed and his warm hearth since first he stepped out of his door! We will not be seeing our Hobbit again. He is long gone."

"No, he isn't," Bilbo corrected, appearing behind the group.

Keerla stared at him in shock, she hadn't seen him coming, nor had she heard him. Yet there he stood, with everyone staring back at him in the same surprised fashion. Gandalf laughed and was the first to speak.

"Bilbo Baggins! I've never been so glad to see anyone in my life!"

Keerla stood, helping Fili up and then they both pulled Kili off the ground, watching the small hobbit as he came forward and placed his hand on Balin's shoulder with a smile.

"Bilbo, we'd given you up!" Kili exclaimed.

His brother then said, "How on earth did you get past the Goblins?!"

"How, indeed," Dwalin wondered.

Keerla's eyes were attracted to the slight movement of Bilbo's fingers and she watched him tuck something gold into his pocket. Whatever it was, gave her a dark feeling and she knew it was best to avoid it.

"Well, what does it matter? He's back!" Gandalf said to fill the silence.

"It matters!" Thorin snarled, "I want to know: why did you come back?"