The Carrock

okay so this chapter makes the end of The Hobbit, An Unexpected Journey :P it's also short, sorry 

=

The sun started coming up as they soared toward a rock formation in the shape of a bear, leaving behind them the misty mountains and a cloud-covered landscape.

"Thorin!" she heard Fili yell, accompanied by Kili yelling her name, but she was too exhausted to even lift her hand.

She tumbled off the eagle as it hovered over the Carrock, and sat on her knees as Thorin was gently placed in front of her. Gandalf was dropped off next, and he rushed to Thorin's side to heal him. Keerla's eyes darted between Thorin and the others as they were placed carefully on the Carrock, the eagles departing with a low screech.

Bilbo rushed over as Gandalf muttered a spell, and Keerla pulled herself off the ground, stumbling toward Fili and Kili who caught her. Both held on tight, and she didn't even care for the pain as she relaxed into them.

"I asked you not to," Kili muttered angrily in her ear, but she knew he was only worried, "Stupid elf, why do i love you, you're going to kill me."

"Sorry," she mumbled, as Fili unhooked himself from the hug, shooting his brother a grin.

They all turned though, as Thorin woke up and gasped for air. His voice was weak, but they could all make out his words.

"The halfling?" he asked.

"It's all right. Bilbo is here. He's quiet safe," Gandalf ensured him, and Keerla lowered herself onto one knee as Dwalin and Kili helped Thorin to his feet.

He shrugged them off and approached Bilbo who looked absolutely terrified. Keerla just smirked, knowing what was coming.

"You! What were you doing? You nearly got yourself killed! Did I not say that you would be a burden? That you would not survive in the wild and that you had no place amongst us?" there was a pause, and then Thorin said, "I've never been so wrong in all my life!"

He pulled Bilbo into a hug, causing the others to cheer. Bilbo hugged him back, but Thorin soon pulled away.

"I am sorry I doubted you."

"No, I would have doubted me too. I'm not a hero or a warrior. . . not even a burglar."

Thorin chuckled with the others and stalked toward Keerla. She winced, getting to her feet, but grinned. As soon as he was close enough, she gave him no time to speak and locked her arms around him, hugging him tight.

Pulling back, she gave him an innocent smile then slapped him hard across the face. the others let out yells of panic and outrage - though Kili and Fili snickered in amusement at the look of shock on their uncle's face.

"You idiot! Are you trying to get yourself killed?! Are you trying to get them killed?! What kind of leader - no what kind of King - is that stupid?! I should kill you myself to save Azog the bloody trouble!" and she pulled him into another hug, her voice gentle as she said, "Still, I'm glad you're safe."

"And i you," he murmured, pulling out of the hug and massaging his red cheek, "I deserved that, but never put your life before mine again. I do not want you dying for me."

"I'll do my best," she laughed, then gave an "Ouch!" and clutched her ribs, "I'm going to be bruised for days."

Bilbo's gasp caught their attention, and the Halfling asked, "Is that what I think it is?"

"Erebor—The Lonely Mountain. The last of the great dwarf kingdoms of Middle-earth," Gandalf stated.

The company lined up at the edge of the Carrock, staring out into the distance where a solitary peak rose up above the clouds. Keerla grinned and took Kili's hand in hers, causing him to glance her way. He smiled, and sneakily pressed his lips against her cheek without anyone seeing.

"Our home," Thorin announced, and watched a bird cheep, flying past.

"A raven! The birds are returning to the mountain!" Oin exclaimed.

"That, my dear Oin, is a thrush," the wizard corrected.

Thorin just smirked and said, "But we'll take it as a sign - a good omen."

"You're right," Bilbo agreed, "I do believe the worst is behind us."

Other than Azog now on their tail, and of course, the Dragon they had yet to face, Keerla thought. But she smiled anyway, leaning into Kili's shoulder and felt him press another kiss against the top of her head. Her eyes fell on a patch of trees they'd have to go through, and she felt her smile fall. 

Mirkwood.

=