12|Going Places

Nandini's POV

Manik is looking everywhere but at me. Why can't he be friendly with me like he is with everybody else? Maybe because you keep reminding him you are his boss, and yes, you slapped him, my subconscious remarks snidely.

Well, this is strange. Real strange. I have never cared about anyone except Jenny, my two best friends and dad. I am rude, borderline arrogant and abuse like my life depends on it. And I have never given a fuck about the way I treat people. Then why suddenly, do I care? Because....I like him, I suppose.

The waiter arrives with our food and we start on our dinner.

"You were good today, in the match." I say, trying to make small talk.

"Thanks." He mutters, with a polite smile.

My phone rings at that exact moment.

"Hey, Dhruv." I say into the phone and involuntarily, look at Manik. He looks a bit uncomfortable. That's good!

"Nandini, where are you? Jenny told dad you have not reached home yet." He sounds worried.

"Dhruv, I am having dinner at Burger King. Don't worry about me."

"Oh! Should I come over there?"

"No, man! You don't need to. I'll be fine. I'll see you tomorrow. Bye." I say and hang up quickly, so he can't press any further. I want to be alone with Manik.

"I am sorry if I am keeping you from spending time with your...." Manik says but I cut him off.

"He is not my boyfriend, in case you were wondering." I say casually, trying to make it sound like it's nothing to me. But, I am waiting for his reaction, with bated breath.

Manik's POV

"He is not my boyfriend, in case you were wondering." She says, playing with her food.

As soon as those words are out of her mouth, I feel as though a big load is off my chest. Relief and a lot of other feelings I have never had before flood through me. And before I know it, I am smiling. She looks at me, surprised at first, and then a satisfied expression takes over her features. This somehow makes me happier.

I quickly compose myself and take a bite of my burger, which is without ketchup. How it had pleased me to know she remembered a small detail about me...

"Are you saying that Dhruv doesn't have feelings for you?" I have to ask. To me, it looks like the guy is totally smitten with her.

"Well, to be honest, he does like me in a way I don't want him to. And, he is just a friend to me. A good friend. You have met Pathak uncle, haven't you?"

"Yes." I respond, wondering what he has to do with this.

"Dhruv is his son. And Pathak uncle has really been of immense support to me since I shifted to India, about eleven years ago. I share a very homely relationship with him and Dhruv." She says. As if that gives Dhruv the right to fuss over her. Bloody git he is.

I simply nod at her, not knowing what else to say.

After a couple of minutes, I remember the fear that had been consuming me since yesterday night and choose to act. The fear of losing this job and not being able to execute my initial plan.

"Miss. Murthy, I am really sorry about yesterday. I didn't mean to offend you. Please forgive me and I assure you I will not slip up again." I say with a somber expression. Although, by now, I am sure she is not going to fire me, I still feel the need to apologise, just in case.