20|Upturned

Nandini's POV

It's 5 am in the morning. Last night, I couldn't sleep at all. I kept trying not to think about Manik the whole time, but in vain. Taking a deep breath, I change into a pair of jeans and a crop top. Grabbing my car keys, I head out of my room.

Jenny is fast asleep in her room. Since she had stayed up late in the night to wish me, I suppose she won't be waking up soon. Deciding not to disturb her, I send her a text.

*going to Astha. Will be back by evening. Love ya*

I quickly go into the kitchen and take an apple. Coming out, I inhale deeply in the early morning breeze, cool and fresh on my face. Getting into my car, I start on a long drive.

After driving for about an hour and a half, I leave the city behind and the surroundings become greener and more rugged. Rolling the windows down, I let the soft breeze wash over me. This is heaven! If only this road would never end...

I know I seem like a lunatic, taking off on my own on the first day of the year. But I really can't bring myself to act otherwise! No matter how hard I try not to be affected, I just can't do it! Manik really managed to sink his claws into me in the last two weeks.
Why did he show me his nice, playful side if this is what he was planning to do?

It's 9 now. The sun is shining hard. I am almost there.

Taking a sharp turn leading off the road, I halt at a small departmental store. Going in, I quickly grab loads of chocolates, chips and other edibles. Stuffing everything in the car, I start driving again.

After about 10 minutes, I come to a stop in front of a beautiful white building amid the greenery. The huge board on the side, reading 'ASTHA' is decorated with small lights. Taking all the stuff, I get down.

The sight in front of my eyes is heartwarming! The huge playground in the front is filled with what looks like all the kids of the orphanage. The air is abuzz with the sound of laughter and giggles. The small kids really seem to be enjoying a lot.

"Nandu!" Sara, an eight year old cute angel squeals as soon as she sees me. The other kids also notice me standing at the gate and start running to me, screaming my name.

This is my 2nd most favourite building in the world, first being the home I grew up in with dad, in Chicago. I discovered this orphanage about 3 years ago, and have been visiting here regularly ever since.

This is the one place I know I can let my guard down at, without the fear of getting taken advantage of. The kids here are pure angles and absolutely adore me, and I them!

"Nandu!"

"Happy New Year!"

"Aap aa gae!"

" Chocolate laye?"

I hear squealing and laughing all around me. In no time, I am grinning and giggling like a fool, handing out chocolates. The kids lead me to the front porch. I sit down on the floor and they surround me.

After playing with them for some time, I see Vrinda aunty, the elderly woman who owns the place, come out with a warm smile. I get up and hug her tightly. She responds with the motherly warmth I have only ever gotten from Jenny. Involuntarily, my eyes fill up with tears.

"Arey beta, kya hua?" She asks kindly.
"Kuch nahi, aunty. Bas aise hi." I smile at her.

"Accha chalo, khana lag chuka hai. Chalo bacchon!" She literally drags me inside.

We have an elaborate and yummy lunch. After that, I come out again and lie down on the soft grass. The kids follow me and gather around.

"Nandu, humale liye gana gao na, pleasssse!" On of the kids demands, dragging the last word. The other children repeat after him.