19|On the edge

Nandini's POV

It's midnight and I am turning and tossing in my bed. After ringing Manik's number for hours and hours, I finally gave up. It's switched off. Where the hell is he? Did something happen to him? The thought alone makes my insides churn with anxiety and fear. Jenny seems worried too. She has been checking on me every half hour.

I roll onto my stomach and bury my face in the pillow in frustration. All the moments I have spent with him are continuously flashing through my head. Aaarggggh! What the fuck is he up to?

Thinking about Manik and assuring myself that he will be back in the morning with a proper explanation, I manage to fall into a troubled sleep.

...............

"But you said you would do something if we didn't hear from him by now!" I yell at Jenny. It's 10 in the morning and there is still nothing from Manik Malhotra. I am starting to get angry now.

"Nandu, Pathak is coming over. He will decide what to do from here on." She says calmly, but I can see she is anxious.

After another fifteen minutes, Pathak uncle finally arrives, accompanied by Dhruv.

"Do something right away! Find out where the fuck he is and get him back!" I scream at Pathak uncle, my anger and restlessness taking over.

"Relax, Nandini. Why are you so worried. He is just a bodyguard." Dhruv says flatly, looking stunned and angry. Jenny comes forward and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Please do something uncle!" I whine, collapsing on the sofa, totally ignoring Dhruv. Manik is missing since last evening and I am worried and upset as fuck!

"Nandu, I will do whatever I can. Please calm down beta." Pathak uncle soothes.

"Lekin baba..." Dhruv starts but uncle holds up a finger to silence him. Just then, his phone rings.

"It's Manik!" He exclaims, taking it out. My head pops up and I snatch the phone out of his hands.

"Manik, where the fuck are you?" I scream into the phone.

"Um..may I speak to Mr. Pathak?" An unfamiliar voice says on the other end.

"Who are you and where is Manik?"

"May I know who this is?" The guy asks.

"I am Nandini Murthy. Now will you fucking tell me where Manik is?" I yell.

"Oh. Miss. Murthy, this is Abhimanyu, Manik's friend. Thing is that, his mother fell severely ill yesterday. So he had to fly to Delhi. Manik wanted to apologise for leaving so suddenly and would like to know if it's okay if he stays here for a couple of days to take care of his mother."

I sigh in relief and fall onto the sofa. He is fine!

"Where is he? Make him talk to me. Now." I say in a demanding tone.

"I am sorry miss, but he is really not in the condition to talk. Please try to understand."

"Okay. Fine. Tell him to call me whenever he can."

"Sure. Have a good day." Abhimanyu hangs up.

The relief coursing through me is unbelievable! I didn't think I was capable of being so worried and so relieved!

After telling Jenny and Pathak everything, I get up to finally go to college.

"Wait, let me see if a substitute bodyguard is available, until Manik comes back." Pathak uncle murmurs, looking into his phone.